• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Kidney Issues

LisaTLGP

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, our gorgeous Lilly has slowly been losing weight and has been drinking a lot of water. I took her to the vet last week and he gave her a couple of shots (antibiotic and steroid, sorry he did tell me the exact names but I can't remember). She's very bright and active within herself, eating lots, pushing the others around etc but is still drinking a lot of water. I took her back to the vet today and he gave her another antibiotic shot. I need to take her back next week for a check up and I'm going to start weighing her daily.

She was 3 in July.

I've been reading about kidney issues on this forum, which has made me quite sad 😢 She seemed to recover from a kidney infection earlier this year with a course of antibiotics.

Should I be feeding her critical care? Our vet isn't a guinea pig expert but has done well with both my girls before.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks 🙂

Hi everyone, our gorgeous Lilly has slowly been losing weight and has been drinking a lot of water. I took her to the vet last week and he gave her a couple of shots (antibiotic and steroid, sorry he did tell me the exact names but I can't remember). She's very bright and active within herself, eating lots, pushing the others around etc but is still drinking a lot of water. I took her back to the vet today and he gave her another antibiotic shot. I need to take her back next week for a check up and I'm going to start weighing her daily.

She was 3 in July.

I've been reading about kidney issues on this forum, which has made me quite sad 😢 She seemed to recover from a kidney infection earlier this year with a course of antibiotics.

Should I be feeding her critical care? Our vet isn't a guinea pig expert but has done well with both my girls before.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks 🙂

Hi

I am very sorry.

Please step in with feeding top up support when the weight loss passes 50g. You do not need to syringe feed it if she is still eating on her own; just offering more nutritious calories to help slow down the metabolically caused weight loss.

This new guide will hopefully help you manage the health monitoring and feeding support as it explains it all to help you put the various feedback into the right individual perspective and to then allow you to finesse and adjust the support level accordingly. There is a whole spectrum between healthy and round the clock crisis feeding care that very often gets lost. ;)

Thank you
Hi

I am very sorry.

Please step in with feeding top up support when the weight loss passes 50g. You do not need to syringe feed it if she is still eating on her own; just offering more nutritious calories to help slow down the metabolically caused weight loss.

This new guide will hopefully help you manage the health monitoring and feeding support as it explains it all to help you put the various feedback into the right individual perspective and to then allow you to finesse and adjust the support level accordingly. There is a whole spectrum between healthy and round the clock crisis feeding care that very often gets lost. ;)

Thank you.

Back