Kicking shavings out of C&C cage

• Thread starter Thread starter jyrenze
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jyrenze

Anyone else has this problem? I just did up their new cage with those grids today. The cloroplast bottom is about 17 inches tall at the sides and 15 inches at the front. They love to kick their shavings around when they popcorn, its spraying all over the room because my cage is on top of a small cupboard. I ended up covering the shavings with newspaper but I guess its not a good long term idea unless they decide to get litter trained. They do have a litter box but I'm not sure if they are actually going to use it.

Any suggestions? We do have carefresh and Breeders Celect recycled newspaper bedding but filling up a big cage with it will kill my pocket.

Try putting a layer of hay on top, that will stop the woodshavings coming out :)

My correx comes up the sides by 5 inches, so maybe thats why :)

I use aubiose under hay but tried it with hay just in a pile in the corner and they managed to kick some out, now there is hay all over, they dont!

http://www.dropshots.com/jaswwp2#date/2007-10-21/16:03:42

If you guys watch this video you can see that how even 17 cm wouldnt work for them lol.....see the shavings all flying! :D

I have now plastered the surface with newspaper until they settle down. They seem a little too excited at their new home ! The tedious thing is having to change the top layer of newspaper 3 times a day, lol..... good news is they do partially use the litter box since I put their hay and veggies on top of the litterbox grid.

I will try the hay method you mentioned after a few days.

I guess newspaper isnt such a good idea, i'm having to change the newspaper every hour because I cant stand to see the pee on it lol... also my shelties bum fur is wet with pee coz its been dragging around the cage. Its back to a light dusting of shavings on top of the newspaper. They seem less popcorny today. Hope fully they stop tossing the shavings.

You could just use fleece as bedding. Also, this could be a cry for higher coroplast walls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back