Keeping piggies warm

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

How do you keep your piggies warm inside, without having the heating on?

I gave mine a couple of sacks I bought off etsy, they are nice and fleecy but they don't use them! Can I give them something like a hot water bottle, I can put in their houses and they will get warm? Preferably either something I can make or something I can buy from somewhere where it will arrive quickly.

Thank you,
Monica

Hi, you can buy snugglesafe heat pads. You pop them in the microwave and they stay warm for around 8-10 hours. Much safer than hot water bottles. Sorry, I can’t add the link from my phone but if you type it in Amazon, it comes up with them.

Hi, you can buy snugglesafe heat pads. You pop them in the microwave and they stay warm for around 8-10 hours. Much safe than hot water bottles
Thank you, I wasn't going to give them a hot water bottle, but I am glad there is something similar. I will have a look on amazon.

:agr: Also hay. Lots of hay its a good insulator and piggies love to hide in it. I use twice as much hay in the winter. My piggies are in an unheated garage but my piggies are always nice and warm.

My snugglesafe arrived, but it's very hard, even after heating it up. Is this how it should be?

My snugglesafe arrived, but it's very hard, even after heating it up. Is this how it should be?
Yes, they are solid so sharp teeth are less likely to bite through them, although my boys have never shown any interest in trying to bite them. Follow the instructions for heating time according to the power of your microwave, then put the pad into the cover (or wrap in a towel or piece of fleece) and put into tha cage under a hide or a pile of hay. If your piggies are feeling cold they will lie on or near it. I use two in my outdoor hutch and they make such a difference.

I usually place them in their “bedroom” under the hay not just out in the open like that.

As the others have said, yes they are hard and are meant to be.
All four of my boys will sit directly on them and aren’t bothered by the hardness.

I've put my snugglesafes under snugglesacks and currently Lexi and Thea are in the snugglesacks on the snugglesafes.:wub::wub:

I keep my Snugglesafes in the base of a cuddle cup with a fleece disc on top. The goblins love them, and they use them frequently even without a roof to the bed. Cam actually freaks out when I take them to go microwave them at night, I think he's convinced I'm stealing them for some nefarious purpose.

Me too. Snugglesafe with cover at the bottom of the hidey then fleece pad. My little skinny is poorly so the fleece pad is extra padding. My other piggie nips in every now and then for a quick warm up but he’s got plenty of hair and mostly enjoys snuggling in the hay 😂

I've been covering our houses with blankets and towels its surprising how warm they are when they snuggle up inside.

Attachments

• 20221212_191322.webp
    20221212_191322.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221212_191311.webp
    20221212_191311.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221212_191306.webp
    20221212_191306.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221212_191258.webp
    20221212_191258.webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 14
Thank you everyone, I will try it tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've added hay to their houses and now they are all sitting inside eating. I can even hear it in the night! Makes cleaning a bit easier as all the mess is in the house 🤣 Latte worked out that the sleeping sack is warm, but it's better sleeping on the outside! They now have a room thermometer and it's staying around 19-20° most of the time, so they shouldn't be too cold.

Attachments

• 20221209_165926.webp
    20221209_165926.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20221209-WA0001.webp
    IMG-20221209-WA0001.webp
    100.9 KB · Views: 16
Try putting it under something that's covered? They might feel safer with using it if they've got a "roof" over their heads.

I sometimes physically put my piggies inside an item when its new so they understand what it is. Like the new soft house I bought recently they were sniffing around it for ages until I put them inside and they were like ooooh look human I can go inside 😄

My piggies would stop speaking to me if they didn't get their snuggle pads... They even have them (not warmed up) in the summer. Weirdos like sitting on hard surfaces!
I have also started putting hot water bottles underneath the correx, too - just in the spots I know one of them likes to sleep. It takes a while for the heat to get through but is always still quite warm in the morning

I use snugglesafe too, they give me piece of mind that they'll be warm all night long. My piggies are in the garage and I made these teepee's for them out of fleece blankets. I tried them at the top and tied them onto the top of their cages. I tuck it underneath the bed so no draughts can get in and put the snugglesafe inside so they can lie next to it, it's so cosy for them 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_182359.webp
    IMG_20221214_182359.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
Coffee finally managed to find the warmed up pad today! I had to put the oil radiator in their room today, which worked but I was wondering if they can have a heat lamp? Does anyone have an idea on one that might work?

I’ve increased the amount of hay I give mine and they’re spending most of their time buried under it.
I've stuffed their houses with hay, which means they sit inside and eat. They do come out at meal time, but they are not active as they usually are during the day, because they spend time sitting on their bums and eating 🤣

Back