Keeping piggies happy...!

• Thread starter Thread starter pixie_76
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pixie_76

I have 2 lovely sows, Catherine & Ruby (mother and daughter) who have shared a hutch since I had them. Catherine recently gave birth to a litter of 5 (she was pregnant when I got her), and I now have an additional 3 boars and 2 sows. I am going to keep the smallest boar (Pip) :smitten:, the other mini-pigs have been paired up and I already have loving homes waiting for them. I am planning on getting Pip neutered once he is old enough, but I am concerned about the best way to house the three of them in the interim period. :-\

I have a separate hutch to put the boars in already, so should I keep Pip in there until after he is neutered, and take my chances that the three of them will get on when re-introduced? Or should I get some sort of separating thing to put in the large hutch, so they can be close together, but not obviously close enough mate... I definatley don't want Catherine or Ruby to get pregnant, but I want all my piggies to stay friends!

Sorry about the waffling! x8) Hope I've made some sort of sense!

Thanks, Michelle x

Ohhhhh yes! I can't believe how cute they are! They are in the photo gallery in a thread called more baby pics! :smitten:

Right, let me get this straight...
You are keeping Catherine and Ruby and want to put baby pip in with them when he is neutered and you have paired up two boars and 2 sows and are rehoming them,,have I got that correct so far? ;D

Well you can try a cage partition but I think it would be much better to have him in the seperate hutch until neutered...

lavenderjade said:
Right, let me get this straight...
You are keeping Catherine and Ruby and want to put baby pip in with them when he is neutered and you have paired up two boars and 2 sows and are rehoming them,,have I got that correct so far? ;D

Yes! Sorry for the confusion...brain melting a bit 98)

gp-d said:
Well you can try a cage partition but I think it would be much better to have him in the seperate hutch until neutered...

Think thats probably the best plan.... but I am worried they'll be difficult to re-introduce. Am quite new to piggies, but have done lots of reading and am willing to take advice! :) Definately don't want any more bubs!

Well I wouldnt have thought it would be a problem to keep Pip in with his brothers until they are rehomed. He will be on his own for a bit or as you said, have him next door to your sows being ultra careful he doesnt get to them. You wont be able to have him neutered until he is about 4 months old (weight dependant I think).

that's what the vets said, so he won't be neutered until december. He's got such a funny personality already - is always the first nose I see first thing in the morning and has a real love of broccoli - got very cross when mum took his, and I swear he looked at me as if to say 'aaaaagh MUM, that's mine!' ;D! I'm assuming it's best to have the hutches facing each other, or close to each other so they can still 'talk' - have I read that somewhere or made it up?! :)

thanks for your help!

Michelle x

Yes if you have 2 hutches, thats ideal. They do interact with eachother, its cute to watch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back