• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Keeping on cone

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Stripe runs around crazy when I put his Velcro cone on, his feet get caught on the cone and it comes off.

Would a safety pin help?

I've put it on so many times and every time it happens.

I'm at a loss here

As in a cone on his head to stop him biting at an area?

These are not recommended to be used by piggies. They are highly unsuccessful plus they entirely prevent them from being able to eat their poops.

Perhaps you could give background as to why he is using it

He has a wound on his scrotum the vet doesn't want him to bite.

Generally speaking, if pain is being managed properly then piggies tend to leave wounds alone hence why they don’t need cones.

Is he on any pain meds?

I would be concerned about his now inability to eat poops directly from his bottom to get the all important nutrients for the second run.

Just spoke with the tech. She said if he's not obsessively licking it I can take it off. They discontinued all meds.

He's going down there every once in a while but I've been monitoring for an hour, it's not obsessive.

Do you think he'll be ok?

I'm afraid I can’t answer whether it’ll be ok.

Do you know how the wound occurred?
All I can advise is that you need to monitor and If he is fussing around the wound then it may mean he is experiencing discomfort (even if not pain) which would increase the risk of him biting at it.

I think it came from a jagged timothy hut he chewed on. He now has a cloth hidey.

He has a cream once a day that soothes it and once the culture comes back, an antibiotic.

He just slept and had some basil and is now out of the hide at the hay pile.

He just fussed with it now, but only for a couple seconds.

Back