keeping old hay in cage

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so my girls get a big pile of meadow hay daily as well as lots stuffed into all their hideys and then a pile of timothy hay, i see a lot of people replace hay daily but every time i put my hand in on the hay, it doesn’t feel wet or smell soiled so normally i leave it in there, (its always flattened as they love sitting on it) ruffle it up a bit and then put new hay in over the top. this means they have a thick layer of hay to sit on plus the new hay i put in daily. is this okay to do or should i be getting rid of the old hay daily? if i noticed it was wet or smelt i would definitely remove and replace it but it never seems to get that way! just want to check that what i’m doing is okay.

You’re doing fine.
I only remove wet hay daily and poops I can catch and then throw fresh hay on top. It all then gets removed at the weekly (well, about every five days) full clean
Same here, I remove wet hay daily and poops and add new hay on top, every week everything is removed, cleaned and disinfected, your doing good 👍

You’re doing fine.
I only remove wet hay daily and poops I can catch and then throw fresh hay on top. It all then gets removed at the weekly (well, about every five days) full clean

thanks! like i said i always check to see if its wet and it rarely is! i’m trying to also pick out poos when i can and i big clean their hutch once weekly.

Same here, I remove wet hay daily and poops and add new hay on top, every week everything is removed, cleaned and disinfected, your doing good 👍

fab thanks so much! because it never seems to be wet i feel like its such a waste throwing it out when they can just use it as extra bedding! as i said they get fresh hay daily so they will never have to eat the hay they’ve slept in and flattered, unless they want too lol!

Back