Keeping males from females

Loverofpigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey I have 4 Guinea pigs, 2 males 2 females.
The females have a 5x2 C&c cage on a table above the boys cage which is two Midwest cages combined, I would really like to get the boys off the floor and onto a table beside the girls in a 5x2 C&c cage as well because my room can be quite drafty and cold but I don’t want the boys to be able to see the girls at all because my eldest boy becomes very dominant.
Do you have any ideas as to how to keep them from seeing the girls?
Thank you. 🙂

I was also meaning to ask if any one knows if the colourful LED light strips that you put along the ceiling hurts or bothers Guinea pigs?

If you think there is going to be trouble then it may be best to keep them as they are except it’s recommended that the sows are at the bottom and boars on top of a table so no sow smells can fall downwards. It’s smell which is one of the major ways they communicate and it’s sow pheromones which can cause problems for a boar bond.
However, yours have obviously been ok the other way round so far - boars who grow up around and are used to sow pheromones tend to be less affected by them - it doesn’t mean totally risk free though. Have you had the boar pair around the sows for a long time? If the boars are relatively newly together or your boars are teenagers, then a sow in season and if they are in closer proximity than they are used to might cause a problem
If you really do need to put them side by side and you are worried, then you may need to make the cage end solid with a divider which is higher and wider than the cage so they can’t see each other and sow smells don’t drift towards the boys quite so easily. Always handle the boar pair first so you don’t risk transferring sow smells onto them

A higher divider would also be important if they were to be next to each other from the point of view of cage escapes. A boar can become very determined to escape to get in with a sow so if they are side by side you obviously need to make sure that can’t happen

The guide below covers keeping boar pairs and sows in the same room
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Last edited:
If you think there is going to be trouble then it may be best to keep them as they are except it’s recommended that the sows are at the bottom and boars on top of a table so no sow smells can fall downwards. It’s smell which is one of the major ways they communicate and it’s sow pheromones which can cause problems for a boar bond.
However, yours have obviously been ok the other way round so far - boars who grow up around and are used to sow pheromones tend to be less affected by them - it doesn’t mean totally risk free though. Have you had the boar pair around the sows for a long time? If the boars are relatively newly together or your boars are teenagers, then a sow in season and if they are in closer proximity than they are used to might cause a problem
If you really do need to put them side by side and you are worried, then you may need to make the cage end solid with a divider which is higher and wider than the cage so they can’t see each other and sow smells don’t drift towards the boys quite so easily.

A higher divider would also be important if they were to be next to each other from the point of view of cage escapes. A boar can become very determined to escape to get in with a sow so if they are side by side you obviously need to make sure that can’t happen

The guide below covers keeping boar pairs and sows in the same room
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
I’ve had the males and females in the same room since they where a few weeks old, the eldest male is I think 3 yrs old and the youngest is 7 months old now.
Both cages will have the tops because I do have cats who come into the room.
Would a coroplast divider between the separate cages work?
Thank you

Back