Keeping hutches warm

• Thread starter Thread starter Loopylou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loopylou

I have a hutch in a shed/wooden carport. Thinking about whats best to keep it warm - is a hutch hugger best or will an old duvet or thick blanket do just as well?

Hi
I'm no expert but think both are ok...My friend has a hutch hugger and had her piggies out all last Winter, she said it was great. They aren't cheap and you need to check they have suitable ventilation... i.e air holes in the front plastic. I think the basic concept of them is to shield the hutch from rain etc, some websites talk about using them with an additional insulating layer. If your hutch isn't exposed to the elements I think a duvet/ sleeping bag would be fine.
Lesley

Could you not keep the piggies indoors?,they will be much happier and you will get more out of them.It is easier to bond with them when they are part of the family and you can pick up on any change in behaviour that might indicate a health problem.,besides ,you will not have to go out in pouring rain to feed/clean them!

hutch huggers are good blankets, duvets will get damp so maybe a tarp over the top might help. If you can get some polystrene and fix it on the outside of the hutch on the roof bottom and sides etc that will help keep it snug. I have also used one of those mini green houses made of bubble wrap and a metal frame I took all the shelving out and just had 2 at the top and popped the hutch inside and it was dead warm and cosy in the cold weather and when we had strong winds it still didnt budge and I just unzipped it in the day and closed it up in the evening piggies were very happy. Obviously you do have to take them out of it when it gets warmer ;)

Wind and rain isn't a problem as they are undercover and will not get wet :) They need to stay outside as there just isn't any room left in the house.
Insulating the hutch is a good idea and then I think I might throw a duvet over that - think they will be pretty snug then :)

If you have a surplus army store near you then you could buy some thermal foil and cover the hutch in that. It is used for tents when they are abroard. Diy stores sell it too but it is very pricey from there and is in the plumbing section.
I have covered the inside of my shed in it and it is fantastic for keeping the heat in ;)

If you used a layer of newspaper with a piece of VetBed on top that would be very warm O0?. as it retains heat very efficiently, & keeps the piggies nice & clean to.

P.S Sorry if you do already use VetBed though :)

Oh yes, thats a good plan :) I do actually have some spare vet bed and it hadn't crossed my mind to use it 98) I'll try that!

If there in the shed i just use tarpoline over there hucth and plenty of hay inside, it keeps them nice and warm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back