Keeping Guinea Pigs outside

• Thread starter Thread starter Quincy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quincy

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are thinking about getting two guinea pigs.

I've looked at a couple of websites that have said it is okay to keep guinea pigs outside so long as they have shelter and plenty of bedding. We planned on getting a good sized hutch with a big run area for them. But then coming on here, I see most of you bring them indoors or put them in the shed during the winter months. Problem we have is, we don't have any space in our tiny house to keep guinea pigs and we don't have a shed!

Is it simply not feasible to keep guinea pigs outside all through the winter? I wouldn't want to keep them out there if they are freezing cold and miserable. Is maybe a certain breed okay for the outdoors?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Emma

Hi and welcome to the forum! O0
as you say you can provide an out side hutch and run which is fine even in winter
put it against a wall or fence in winter keep it covered with either blankets carpet or those hutch snug things which part of the country are you?
i had mine out side all year round in norfolk for years before moving here and clearing the shed out!
But as longas you keep them warm dry and draught free they should be fine
some here do keep indoors which if you get rescued they will be able to advise and maybe even supply some that are used to it
the obvious thing is not get inside guineas and put them out when its freezing (like today!)
Goood luck
Ron x

Welcome to the forum. I have pigs in a shed and they are fine I cover them up of a night with blankets.

Ron you have given me faith in keeping them in the shed all year round, it's something I worry about constantly. The only problem is cleaning them out in the freezing weather! ;D

I don't believe it's an option to keep pigs outside in a hutch all year round - they are warm blooded animals like us and if it's too cold for us, it's too cold for them. You also can't bring them in for cuddles as the temperature fluctuations can kill them.

Keeping them in a shed is different altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back