Keeping A Group Of Guinea Pigs (5+) Rather Than A Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkletoes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello I've been thinking of increasing my herd from 3 to 5 because I have the space and time to allow for two more. I have recently viewing two bonded piggys I would like to introduce to my trio of sows.

Does anyone have any experience from keeping a group of 5 or more sows. Do the piggys benifit from more friends or do they do better in pairs? The two I have viewed are submissive piggys so should do well with the others.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on keeping a group of piggys and any info would be greatful whether long term advice or caution or encouragment

Xx

I have a group of six sows and a group of four and love watching them .They get so much out of being in large groups.Originally wanted a group of ten but the boss pig in the groups hate each other.My six are in twenty square foot and the four in fifteen square foot.The six have four litter trays and two food bowls.The veggies get scattered round the cage so they all get a chance.They do share the same water bottle but I would maybe give them two until you see how they go.Do you have the space to house them if they don't get on?Apart from pebbles all mine went in as babies as pebbles doesn't do big piggies.The four were a bonded pair that accepted a bonded pair of babies.Good luck

I would far rather have a larger groups. Sadly a piggy fall out means I now have 2 small herds but I miss the larger group and they are not as lively for sure. I say go for it!

I have had up to 14 piggies in a group at one stage; currently I have five groups, three of which have 5-7 piggies, all sows with a neutered boar. I sadly had to split my big group at the beginning of the year when a piggy generation down (after 4 years) group dynamics went haywire in the wake of a takeover by an ambitious younger sow.

The crucial bit is doing your research beforehand; ideally any sows joing should have a group background or be the submissive part of a pairing. When introducing a bonded couple, especially of middle aged and older sows, you have to be aware that one of the top sows may not like losing her status and that a bonding can fail. My foster group has started out that way - the top sow is fine with youngsters she can dominate, but will not tolerate any she situation she cannot come out on top of.

If you can, date your sows at the rescue with the new additions; that will give you an idea whether it is worth proceeding. I have found it very unpredictable when introducing sows, as it very much depends on the individual personalities involved and even with initial interest through the bars, all hell can break lose when they meet for real!

Working groups are wonderful and totally fascinating! You see very different dynamics to just a pair or a trio; from about 4-5 piggies, you see small group behaviour, from 6-7 piggies you get a full working mob.

I have a group of 6 sows and all has been fine. They were intro'd properly and didn't have much disruption apart from a re-shuffled of order but all settle and they are quite happy :)

I've gone from 2 piggies to 5 this year, I love it! They are so fun to watch and now my older 2 have a bit more life in them!

I have a group of 5 sows started off with 2 and the other 3 joined without any problems. Pecan kept climbing into their home bit and use to stay with them. No major problems just the Rambo and Patch are quite bitchy towards each other, but soon settle down if told off by Lucky or Pecan. Maple tends avoid everything other then food :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back