Kaylee edible Timothy hide

Hunt76

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been very stringent with my boys’ diet for a long time; however, my significant other recently bought a Kaytee Timothy hay hide. She really wants to give it to the boys, but I want to make sure it’s safe for them to have.

According to the package, it contains:
Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay, Potato Starch, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sodium Alginate, Honey, Propionic Acid (Preservative), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

I’d hate to break her heart because she’s been excited to be involved with the pigs, but I also don’t want my boys to have anything unsafe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Guinea pigs really should not be fed potato starch as it can lead to bloat. Propylene glycol is toxic, honey does not meet any nutritional needs. I personally would not give this to my piggies. A wooden hide would be much better for them. Suggest something like that. Let her know that it's lovely that she wants to be involved with your piggies, but things that are sold as suitable sometimes aren't and you are sure that she wouldn't to hurt your piggies. I've looked at the Amazon.com website and found something more appropriate for her to get for your piggies

Amazon.com

My Rainbow piggies had 2 of these and loved them.

A safe but similar alternative to this would be a carrot cottage (or hay cottage). They are cardboard covered with redigrass and dried carrot glued down with vegetable starch. They absolutely love them!
Here is an example: Rosewood Edible Carrot Top Cottages

Back