Kavee

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a Kavee cage?

Mine just got here. I assembled it, it seems flimsy, the bottom is made of cardboard and it's shallow! Poop is going to get everywhere.

I feel I assembled it poorly and the pigs will get loose if they put pressure on it.

Any tips?

My dad is going to order me a better cage the same size so I can use the liners I bought.

Do you guys think I should use the Kavee cage in the meantime?

The bottoms are usually Coroplast plastic not cardboard which is waterproof and wipe cleanable. Did you order a Coroplast base or is it part of the package? Have you cable tied the grids together? Using ties as well as the connectors makes the cages much stronger. I have noticed the sides of the base are a bit shallow in pictures I've seen but lots of people use them and have no problems.
The Kavee cage should be fine to use if it's got a Coroplast base?

IMG_1513.webp
I love the grid type cages they are so easy to expand and fit in any space. This one goes into a recess. It was originally one cage but is at present split with a divider because these two boars fight when together. My bases are shallow because they are so large, the 8x4 ft sheets of Coroplast won't stretch to higher sides but poop only comes out when the boys stand on their hind legs and there's a bit stuck to a foot. I have perspex along the front in this picture because it was winter and that room can be draughty, that also stops spillage from the cage. There's no hay in the cages, it's usually on the newspaper at the front, I was in the middle of cleaning the cages out. I hope this gives you an idea of how good grid cages can be. I don't use the connectors as I don't like them! I hope you can find a way to adapt what you've got rather than going to the expense of another cage.

:agr:
A coroplast base is what you need - if that is what you have then it is absolutely fine.

Kavee coroplast is shallower but it isn’t a problem when using fleece. It’s only an issue if you want to use disposable bedding because it won’t hold in as well.
Provided your cage looks similar to piggieminder’s picture, then the cage should be absolutely fine

And definitely use zip ties to secure the grids together

I agree, I use much cheaper grids from Amazon and zip/cable ties make all the difference. I think they all feel a bit unstable until they are put on.IMG20240301201243.webp

My cages that are on grid stands or tables rather than the floor also have grids cable tied across the bottom to make base before the Coroplast/Corex goes in. This makes them very solid.

Thanks. Will they chew on the cable ties?

You should cut off the excess

Mine are cable tied at the top and bottom of each grid. The bottom ones are covered by bedding and hay so they don’t get found. The top ones are ignored by two of my piggies but the third piggy does chew any that he can get his teeth onto.
I just keep a supply of ties so can replace any before he manages to bite through any

I got the zip ties on the cage and I'm picking up Chesney tomorrow!

My dad is sending me another cage I'll have on hand, in case the Kavee cage doesn't work out, it should arrive in a few days. But I'm feeling more confident about the Kavee cage.

If the bonding goes well and in a few days I do decide to change cages, do I have to start the bonding all over in the new cage, or can I put them in it with the hides and toys.

I got the zip ties on the cage and I'm picking up Chesney tomorrow!

My dad is sending me another cage I'll have on hand, in case the Kavee cage doesn't work out, it should arrive in a few days. But I'm feeling more confident about the Kavee cage.

If the bonding goes well and in a few days I do decide to change cages, do I have to start the bonding all over in the new cage, or can I put them in it with the hides and toys.

You can just put them into any new cage but you need to be aware that it causes a new round of dominance doe around two weeks every time you change territory (done too often it can cause problems). Even cleaning the cage too much can cause issues in boars. So it is important to make sure you transfer scents over so each space still smells like them. That means even at the weekly cage clean, don’t clean the whole cage in one go (only do half at a time) or wipe any new fleece with soiled fleece so as to transfer smells.

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

Thanks!

Currently Stripe is running around his cage and popcorning. He just had his wheatgrass and it's his favorite.

Looking forward to the bonding tomorrow, I feel the cage is secure.

I think Chesney will be calm and chill because at the pet store he was taking a nap outside the hide despite all the noise. That's why I chose him.

Stripe is gray and white and Chesney is calico.

I'll post pictures tomorrow of them both and update you guys on the bonding.

Thanks, I'll read it again.

I'm hoping it goes smoothly but Stripe is 3 months so he might be dominant over 1 months old Chesney

Just read in the bonding guide that the hides have to have 2 holes so thanks for encouraging me to read it again! I'll pick up a different hide tomorrow when I get Chesney.

After zip tying the Kavee cage, I'm feeling a lot more confident. I love how spacious it is. I love having fleece.

The boys are napping together about six inches apart on the right side of the cage.

Poop is not coming out of the cage.

I'll just keep the cage my dad sent me in case I run into issues.

Back