kale?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 151640
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 151640

Hey everyone:), Me and my husband have 6 pigs. I’ve owned pigs since i was young and love them.

I’ve had plenty of pigs through the years but was just wondering other peoples opinions. All my pigs get around one cup of kale each everyday, alongside other things such as peppers, cucumber, herb, celery, romaine lettuce, spinach and green beans. That being on rotation and not all at the same time, depends on the week.

Their diet also includes the occasional fruit or tomato, carrot etc. Aswell as unlimited hay and around a tablespoon of pellets each everyday.

Was just wondering what other peoples insights were as I have been doing some research as i’m also a training vet and have found a lot of people are against kale in such portions . As I said i’ve done it for years and have very healthy guinea pigs but I am interested if anyone has insights.

Kale is relatively high in calcium, so if you have a piggy that's prone to stones, that can be a concern. Kale, however, is relatively low in oxlates, which are the other component of calcium stones. I'd probably be more wary of the spinach, as it is quite high in oxalates and also not low in calcium, which will also come from water and pellets, though if it's just a small portion in rotation, the spinach can be fine, too.

Kale is relatively high in calcium, so if you have a piggy that's prone to stones, that can be a concern. Kale, however, is relatively low in oxlates, which are the other component of calcium stones. I'd probably be more wary of the spinach, as it is quite high in oxalates and also not low in calcium, which will also come from water and pellets, though if it's just a small portion in rotation, the spinach can be fine, too.
Yes! It’s just more of a treat as i often cant find it in stores. Thanks for your reply!

Back