Just Wondering About Petsathome ...hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicathepurplepanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I kinda hate petsathome for the way they treat there animals...so much that...is it maybe worth rescuing them for a loving home ...? It's weird I know but maybe maybe not? Let me know your thoughts xx

I have heard a lot of mixed reports about Pets at Home - not all bad.

Personally, I prefer to avoid buying things from ANY pet shop that sells live mammals. I would advise that if you have seen any poor treatment of animals, this should be reported. Rescuing animals from a poor pet shop will only perpetuate the problem,

Hi!

The level of the various p@h branches differ a lot. Personally, I prefer pet shops that do not sell animals. All p@h shops import their piggies from rodent farms on the Continent.

Are you aware that we have many good guinea pig rescues in this country, which are actually the best and safest place to get guinea pigs from that are guaranteed healthy, properly sexed, not pregnant and that have been carefully bonded? You will also get support during the settling phase and the whole life of the rescue piggies. Plus you will have the satisfaction that you not only give a couple of piggies a happy life, but you are making space for the rescue to rescue another pair of piggies in need and give them their own shot at a bright future. All of our recommended rescues operate to a high standard of care at all stages of the rehoming process.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you wish to rehome privately, you have to be aware that all the above mentioned risks are on your side and that you can end up with a very steep and expensive learning curve. Unless you are experienced with guinea pigs and have the resources, I would not recommend going down this route as a first choice.

Hi, I bought my two girls from P@H (one is pictured in my profile pic) and to be honest, I haven't had any problems. I, like many others, was VERY wary about getting them from a pet shop, but I made sure I visited on many occasions and at different times of day to see what the care was like. On the day I got them, I was taken (with the two piggies) into a side room where I was shown how to handle them, asked questions on the size of cage I had, what I was going to feed them, if I had any other pets etc. The lady did a full check of both guineas, checking their ears, eyes, noses, fur, and feet for signs of any illnesses and showed me how to do the same. I had checked how to sex a guinea pig beforehand, but she showed me how to do that too and overall, I was very happy with getting my pets from there. Looking back now, if I were to get more piggies in the future (a definitely possibility), I would probably opt to get them from a rescue - something which I was not aware of before - mainly so that they are more used to being handled and are perhaps tamer.

I agree, pets at home is very mixed. You get some really bad stores and I've heard a few really bad stories from them, but then you will get ones that actually do everything they are supposed to and genuinely care for the animals they sell. I bought my first guinea pig (this was years ago when I was around 16-17) from there and the woman was lovely, I chose my piggie and she got me a chair to sit and hold her and play with her, even gave m some veg to feed her with to see if we had a good bond, she gave me lots of advice and was actually really helpful. However my friend bought a guinea pig from a different store and they basically got the guinea pig out of the cage, put it in a carry box and took it to the till; didnt ask anything about feeding, handling, living conditions, the fact they like to be in pairs or anything.

I did watch a documentary on p@h as well and it was awful, I think it was like a watchdog one, and the treatment of the animals was terrible.
Personally, I've seen loads of videos from rescues who are over run with babies and adult guinea pigs who would love a good home, I would always check a rescue first because my heart aches when I think of all those ones who were abandoned or taken to a rescue because they couldn't be cared for :)

My feelings on stores like P@H are don't go there. I buy all my pet supplies either online or from pet stores that don't sell animals. You can also buy lots of supplies from shops such as The Range, Wilkinson's, Home Bargains & Poundstretcher. Earlier this week I asked the question on The Guinea Pig Community Group Facebook page "Where do you buy your pet supplies from that don't sell pets" & I've been getting a directory started. I'll start a new thread on here asking the same question & see if we can get a nationwide directory of pet supplies stores that don't sell pets. If the stores like P@H start losing sales they may think again.

Pets@home - we like many others bought our first piggies from there. When we did so we didn't know the plight that many piggies had gone through being sold at pets@home. It was only when we joined the forum that we realised that there were many rescue piggies that were in need of homes and actually rescues existed. Our whole outlook with regard to piggies has changed dramatically and personally we wouldn't entertain pets@home any more. We make sure that we buy all our supplies for our piggies from independent suppliers who don't deal in the sale of livestock. Being part of this forum has educated us in that whenever possible we would rescue rather than buy, although we wouldn't condemn anyone who has acquired a piggy from a pet shop. We have been guilty of this in the past and it is only through education on this forum that we would only rehome from a reputable rescue in the future.

Lisa & Ali..x

If you are wantimg to buy from pets@home to "rescue" them they will replace them so its not really rescuing as such. I however have done it in past and also took on a boar from rescue section as they were telling people he needed to live alone. Incidentally I have had him neutered and he now has a wife so what they were saying was rubbish!

I would probably advise against buying them but also be wary of the adoption pigs as when I adopted rupert I had to sign something to say that I would be responsible if he became ill (ie they do not pay vet bills should you adopt a rescue pig from the adoption centre!)

Thank you everyone for answering I was just wondering because there isn't really a rescue that near by and my nearest pets at home branch isn't that bad I'm sorry if there is any misunderstandings ere I do understand about rescuing and that is obviously my first option but when I check my nearest rspca etc it's all dogs and cats etc/: and I'm in quite a difficult situation atm I just moved back with my dad and were waiting for the house to sell and then when we go into rent then if there's a place accepting small pets THEN I'm aloud to get them (the waits way to long I just feel like crying haha) it might be over a year,,,, I'm trying to convince my dad to get them in this house but he's not that keen on pets which is why it took 5 years to convince him to let us get Bobby( my dog which now lives in Scotland with my mum and sister) so it might well be a year to get guinea pigs and they have to be outside so I'm planning on getting the best shed I can insulated and everything (thanks for reading)
Jess x

Where abouts are you in the uk? there may be some people on here who have used rescues in the past that could come up with some suggestions. What town are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back