Just separated my pigs but I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

Lauziiedauziie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my two bonded boars (1 y/o & 2 y/o) have been acting strangely for a few days. Usually they get on well, lying together, eating together and generally being comfortable around each other. Yes do rumble at each other sometimes but it's nothing that leads to fighting and lasts a few seconds.
However, we have noticed them rumble more but we didn't think much of it at first because it was paired with popcorning. Tonight though I heard the older one screeching and I was faced with the younger one pinning him to the floor biting his ears. When they broke away from each other the oldest one was teeth chattering and trying to get away from him There was no blood or cuts but it freaked me out so much I put a divider in their pen to separate them.
My older one seems a lot calmer now but my younger one is frantically biting the divider and wheeking loudly trying to get back in to him.

I'm not sure if I have done the right thing and I feel heartbroken if I have done the wrong thing. I just need some advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20231219_205724031.TS_exported_2834_1703020755528.webp
    PXL_20231219_205724031.TS_exported_2834_1703020755528.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 3
It might be a hormone spike (adult piggies do still get them).
What I would do now is leave them apart for a couple of days to calm down. You need the ignore the older one biting the bars - it can be a territorial behaviour/not always friendly.
In a few days time put them back together on neutral territory (make sure you don’t just remove the divider in the cage) as that will allow them to decide if they still have a functioning relationship. You are going to see dominance when they go back together but it is whether it goes beyond that. With any luck this is a blip, their bond is actually fine and they will go back together without any issue (other than Normal dominance). If so, then after a couple of hours in the neutral territory pen, clean out their normal cage, remove the divider and then return them to the cage to hopefully continue as normal.
If the reintroduction on neutral territory shows you that their bond is in trouble, then it is possible they need to sadly stay separated from then on.

Bonds In Trouble

Back