• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Just heard a strange noise...

• Thread starter Thread starter Sarah920
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarah920

I got woken up about half an hour ago to this really loud huffing noise. I got up immediately, but then it stopped. I thought I must have heard something outside, but just as I was about to get back into bed I heard what I can only describe at the sound of two doors creaking shut one after the other. I went and looked in on both my guinea pigs and they seemed absolutely fine, albeit startled at having their cage door opened at 3am by a panicky me.

I've been searching on the Internet and the two nearest candidates for this noise I heard is choking and sneezing (URI), both of which are fatal. I'm also really worried that I put a baked fruit chew into their cage and never found the little plastic thing on top meant to clip them to the cage door. Could one of them have swallowed this and be choking?

So what should I do? Haul them off to the vet as soon as he opens? Wait to see if whoever it was does it again? Put it down to something falling over outside my door?

Hi how are the pigs this morning? and in the light of day can you see what made the noise. ?

them

Sarah920 said:
I got woken up about half an hour ago to this really loud huffing noise. I got up immediately, but then it stopped. I thought I must have heard something outside, but just as I was about to get back into bed I heard what I can only describe at the sound of two doors creaking shut one after the other. I went and looked in on both my guinea pigs and they seemed absolutely fine, albeit startled at having their cage door opened at 3am by a panicky me.

I've been searching on the Internet and the two nearest candidates for this noise I heard is choking and sneezing (URI), both of which are fatal. I'm also really worried that I put a baked fruit chew into their cage and never found the little plastic thing on top meant to clip them to the cage door. Could one of them have swallowed this and be choking?

So what should I do? Haul them off to the vet as soon as he opens? Wait to see if whoever it was does it again? Put it down to something falling over outside my door?

First don't panic :)

URI's aren't necessarily a death sentence if they are caught and treated early enough.

It's impossible for any of us to diagnose what is wrong with your guineas, so yes, if you are worried pop them along to your vet for an exam. They will be able to listen to their chest and hear if there is a problem brewing.

If they are bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, no sneezing and no discharge from eye/nose, eating well etc. Then you may just want to keep a close eye on them today, any worries off to vet at teatime :)

Few people like to give their guineas chew stick, too much "rubbish" in them, so maybe you could think about more natural treats?
Speciality hay, willow balls, there are lot's more. I've never know guinea eat plastic like this, sio it's unlikely, but if in doubt about their health, speak to your vet.

Barbara

Yeah, they seem bright and cheerful today, so it can't have been down to illness. My mother said she fell over some wood outside my door last night, which sounds strange but could account for it. I'll just keep an eye on them a leeetle bit closer than I normally do anyway - you never know... :-\

Oh, and I'll bear in mind what you said about treats. I've got two left but when I use them up I'll stick to more natural stuff.

my mum said she heard cindy make a weird noise the other day too.. hmm lol

Am using a baby monitor listening for Robyn to have babies at the moment and we're amazed at all the funny little noises her & Holly make that we don't normally hear when we're in the same room.

I love the little sneezes they make (they haven't got colds or anything, but just every now and again). So sweet!

our abby Kaylee always eats too fast and makes a little choking noise ::) We were so worried about her at first but the vet said there was no sign of a URI, she is just a greedy piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back