• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

just got back from the vets....

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

as i have been saying all along, munchie doesnt have mites ::)

it took a full mite treatment, and visiting a second vet to get them to agree with me ::)

he is currently being treated with the GG coconeem melt to see if that works.
the vet also wants me to try this cream i have to rub into his skin twice a day, as she wants to make sure its not an allergy.

if that doesnt work the vet suggested 2 things....

1. its behavioural ::)
2. do a biopsy to work out the problem :o which I'm not too happy with as you can probably guess

all this fuss for bald patches! i just hope at least one of the treatments works!

The GG melt will probably work. Then you can tell the vet you didnt need their help anyway!

Glad its not mites. :)

Hmmmmm.....I have known a piggy that was a fur chewer, like sometimes chinchillas get, and to this day I have no idea why...I thought maybe a boredom thing....but more toys didnt help..he also chewed his friends hair, so I thought maybe it was a scared/comfort thing, and as time went on, he gradually stopped doing it, but dont know if he grew out of it, something clicked in his head or what really - then again this wasnt all the way down to the skin...

Hopefully the GG stuff will work a treat!

Keep us updated! O0

will do O0

hes still not stopping chewing. to be honest i think it is probably behavioural now, but want to rule out other possibilities first. his skin is not inflamed/infected/flakey or anything. his skin is healthy, just 2 completely bald patches!

he absolutely hates the GG melt! was a nightmare!

Eek poor piggy ;D

Hmmm maybe it was a boredom thing, but now has turned into an obsessive thing?

I'm not sure, hes had it for about 6 weeks now, and its not like he doesnt have much to do. he lives in a big cage, and spends all day playing in the hay and running up and down his tube, if it was boredom i would have expected it to have started when he was in the nero 3. I'm wondering if its developed from stress, as when they first moved into the c+c, bob was being very dominant and territorial to him, and was picing on him a lot but its settled down now.

maybe it started from that, and now became habbit :-\

I think it may be a hormonal problem possibly. Anyway I really would not worry too much about having the biopsy done - it will possibly be a bit painful for him and certainly a bit of discomfort but it will be worthwhile if they can find a cause and then treat it and make him better. Good luck O0

Hi Lez, I used the manuka and neem shampoo and cocneem melt on my two piggies with the skin prob. They hated it as well lol! It was a nightmare cos they hate water, I'm gunna do it again on thurs, their fur seems much smoother but Ill let you know if it sorts out their skin problems. Please let me know if it works on your Munchie :)

OH Lez sorry to hear about Munchie :( :( :(
As we both discussed awhile ago we thought maybe how behavioural :-\
Keep up the good work love, and sorry Munchie but i agree with Mummy you need to have that yukky stuff again :o
Hugs for you love and sending mega healing wheeks for the little guy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

another update on munchie, the GG coconeem isnt working.

which rules out fungal infection too.

I'm heavily swaying towards behavioural now, as he has also started chewing his front paws and stripping the hair off of his paws :-\

i really dont want to take him in for the biopsy as the vet suggested :-\ but dont know what to do.

Is he in any pain or itching? I think if I had been through what you and piggy have been through I would let him be if he isnt really bothered for a while at least. I havent read all the posts but I am guessing he is eating etc and it isnt ringworm. At the end of the day you know your pigs best and you have tried loads of options I am sure my vet would suggest coming back again and again I can see the pound signs in her eyes now lol. Maybe there are a few people on here who can help fingers crossed O0

hes not in pain or itchy, and his skin isnt inflamed/sore/flakey, infact the bald skin looks perfectly normal. he's eating/drinking/playing perfectly fine, and has had this for about 8 weeks now. he just chews his hair off under and on his arms ?

so far ive tried mite treatment, GG coconeem, and an allergy cream. the vet wanted me to return if nothing worked, and discuss what to do next/consider a biopsy, but as he is perfectly happy and the baldness isnt spreading i dont know if i should consider a biopsy, and should just settle with it being a habit/behavioural.

I'm worried the biopsy could just be putting unnecessery stress/ upset on him as he's perfectly happy as he is ? he absolutely hates the vets as it is

Lez can you get a second opinion, maybe one of the mods on here who's been thru all this can help, give them a pm O0
Sending lots of these for the boy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

ive just had a great pm with more advice that imm going to try :)

also going to contact vedra about rodentologists :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back