Just dominance?

Chaz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't had babies in 5 years, I've probably forgotten what my previous girls did at 3 months old.

In the run, Nala is up the other end of it, while Cosmo is with Domino and Trixie the other end. Personality wise, Nala is quiet, and Domino and Cosmo are completely mad. Trixie is her usual 5 year old self, like, Do I really have to do anything?
I was cleaning out the hutch, that's why they were in there and I was supervising. Nala went near the other side, only to be nipped at several times and chased away by Cosmo. This has happened before. Last ime it happened when I took Trixie out for a cuddle. Cosmo just went for Nala, for no reason.
So Nala stayed up the other side again, until I added the houses, in which case she went to the log house, while the other two curled up with Trix in the other house.
In the hutch, Nala doesn't really have anything to do with anyone. She'll share a bowl with Trixie and eat the hay with everyone else, but three will be up one side and she'll be at the other.
Domino grooms Trixie, and Cosmo is pretty friendly with her too, but Nala doesn't really go near them. Is this just her? Am I just fussing too much?

So you’ve got a 5 year old and three three month olds? Trixie is the 5 year old but Nala is the one who stays away?

How long have they all been bonded?
Were the babies together as a trio before being bonded with Trixie?
How big is their cage? 210x60cm is the recommended size for four piggies.

Yeah, Nalas the one that stays away. They've been together a month now, but they were together as a trio before they met Trixie.
I'm not sure how big the hutch is, but the problem is mainly in the run. She sits on her own in the hutch but Cosmo goes for her in the run.

Yeah, Nalas the one that stays away. They've been together a month now, but they were together as a trio before they met Trixie.
I'm not sure how big the hutch is, but the problem is mainly in the run. She sits on her own in the hutch but Cosmo goes for her in the run.

If she is being isolated in the hutch as well then the issue is everywhere rather than just in the run.

Are they indoors?
A run can’t be used outdoors at this time of year.

I would check the hutch size. The biggest commercial hutch is 6 foot (180cm), but even 6 foot is a touch too small for four sows. They ideally need a 7 foot (210cm) hutch which would have to be custom made.

If you are concerned the bond isn’t working then follow this guide to work out what is happening.

Bonds In Trouble

The run is indoors as is the hutch. The hutch is custom made by my dad. We converted the two story into one bigger single layer.
Can you imagine a run outdoors this time of year, they'd sink in the mud 🙂

The run is indoors as is the hutch. The hutch is custom made by my dad. We converted the two story into one bigger single layer.
Can you imagine a run outdoors this time of year, they'd sink in the mud 🙂

Yes that is what I am checking when you mentioned hutch and run….traditionally they are outdoor items.

So, do they have access to the whole area - ie are the hutch and run connected - at all times?
If so, it is the whole of the hutch and run (bottom floor) is what counts as living space. Please do measure it and let us know the measurements as it is vital they have enough room if they are not to have space related issues.

If the hutch and run are separate items and they don’t have access to the run at all times from the hutch; then it is only the hutch which counts as living space. Again, knowing the measurements is the hutch is vital to knowing is they have enough room.

Yes that is what I am checking when you mentioned hutch and run….traditionally they are outdoor items.

So, do they have access to the whole area - ie are the hutch and run connected - at all times?
If so, it is the whole of the hutch and run (bottom floor) is what counts as living space. Please do measure it and let us know the measurements as it is vital they have enough room if they are not to have space related issues.

If the hutch and run are separate items and they don’t have access to the run at all times from the hutch; then it is only the hutch which counts as living space. Again, knowing the measurements is the hutch is vital to knowing is they have enough room.
The hutch is around 8 foot. There shouldn't be any space issues The hutch and run aren't connected.

The hutch is around 8 foot. There shouldn't be any space issues The hutch and run aren't connected.

Ok so it measures 240x60cm? If so then that is fine for four and the hutch and run don’t need to be connected to increase space.

The next thing to do is ensure that she isn’t isolating herself due to being unwell. Monitor hay intake via the routine weight checks.

After that, you need to work out whether there bond is functioning and this is dominance or whether she is isolating herself due to bullying.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Ok so it measures 240x60cm? If so then that is fine for four and the hutch and run don’t need to be connected to increase space.

The next thing to do is ensure that she isn’t isolating herself due to being unwell. Monitor hay intake via the routine weight checks.

After that, you need to work out whether there bond is functioning and this is dominance or whether she is isolating herself due to bullying.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Okay, I'll do that. I need to clean them out again in the next couple of days anyway, so I'll see what happens in the run.

I cleaned them out again today. I put them in the run and they were fine for most of it. Nala's still alone, but the others are climbing all over Trixie, which is causing a bit of friction. Trixie's putting them in their place, then they all calmed down and Nala went and sat with Trixie.
After I cleaned them out, I sat in the run with them and picked up Nala, who gave me one of her very rare squeaks. She healthy, and so is everyone else and she doesn't seem unhappy. When I put them back, Trixie let Nala snuggle with her and the other two went around being their manic selves.
Maybe she's just quiet or maybe Cosmo's just grumpy at her. She's the same weight as her sisters, just quiet and calmer, like Trixie.

Back