Just Adopted Queso, He's A Little Shy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMommy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My friend had two pigs and one died, a few days ago her live-in boyfriend passed away as well (car accident). The remaining pig she had was kept in a 2x5 box with water, bedding, hay, and pellets but she hadn't been able to give it attention for a while because she had two dogs who were trying to eat it. The pig had been adopted from a little girl, who had no interest in it... so passed it to my friend and now I have it. When my friend's bf was alive, they didn't really want the pig and I think they kinda hoped it would just die. When her bf passed, she begged me and my husband to take the pig. We had been considering being pig owners and had been researching it for a few months before all this happened. When we saw the pig had barely any space, didn't get veggies ever, and didn't have any friends/lots of hungry dogs we felt like it would be in everyone's best interest that we take the pig. He was also exposed to a lot of "rough" treatment (not abusive, just not gentle) from both adults and kids. (The previous owner wanted to show us how to make him squeal like a real pig by flipping him over and scratching his butt to our horror.)

I am a stay at home wife... no career, no kids, and no other pets. I love having the pig here and I can make the pig breakfast while I make breakfast for my husband. We are currently in an apartment which does not technically allow pets. We are very limited on space, so this means NO more new pigs and Queso's home and play pen are not as big as we'd like them to be. However, we will be moving in 3 months. After that, we plan on getting another male friend for him and expanding the cage a LOT.

We saw he did not have any hidey hole, so the first thing we did was give him a box. Then we went to the pet store and got a nicer hidey hole, a few toys, and a fleece bed. I also googled how to make toys and to my surprise, he's loved the homemade toys way better than the store bought ones (especially just a plain toilet paper cardboard roll). We've had him just last night and today. We've been very gentle and I've gotten him to eat romaine lettuce, green bell peppers, carrots, and cilantro (he doesn't like cucumber or blueberries). He sometimes hides from us, but will let him pet him. I held him a little today, but he did whine a lot (no teeth chattering though).

I will give you all more updates. Please don't chastise us for not getting him a playmate right now. I do have LOTS of time for him and give him tons of attention.

13423882_10153712137397081_4065338754522774618_n.webp

13435530_10153712137407081_6650551035274353735_n.webp

IMG_1181.webp

IMG_1183.webp

:wel: to the forum . What a good job you were there to take Queso on. I can see you are doing your best to give him a good quality of life.

Well done for taking him on and acknowledging that his current living conditions are not ideal (yet!).

Given that you have only had him for 1 day I think it looks like you are going to be amazing piggie owners.
I love the way you have managed to give him more space to run around in!
It sounds like he is going to be one very loved and spoilt piggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back