Just a Question

Adelyn

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now that flies are coming out again, I'm becoming a little concerned about fly strike. I know it doesn't happen a lot, but still . . .

Would you recommend spray that is applied to the piggies bottoms?
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.32.06 PM.webp
Any other tips?
Or am I just overreacting? :))

In that case if there aren't too many flies around they should be fine just make sure to clean out the cage more often and make sure not to leave old bits of vegetables in their cage

You do not need to use these kinds of sprays (not even for outdoor pigs).

The best thing is to keep the cage clean and check bottoms at least twice a day in hot weather.

It’s only the bottle type flies which pose a risk.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Thank you. What should I look for during checks? I tried to search for the info, but all I got was a bunch of grisly maggot photos 🤢
Are the "small red bumps" under the fur or in bald patches? How far along the body must I check?
Also, is checking twice a day absolutely necessary? Especially since the guide says fly strike doesn't happen that often? (I hardly ever handle my girls.)
Just curious, why don't you recommend the fly spray?

Questions, questions. 😂 Thank you for your time.

Thank you. What should I look for during checks? I tried to search for the info, but all I got was a bunch of grisly maggot photos 🤢
Are the "small red bumps" under the fur or in bald patches? How far along the body must I check?
Also, is checking twice a day absolutely necessary? Especially since the guide says fly strike doesn't happen that often? (I hardly ever handle my girls.)
Just curious, why don't you recommend the fly spray?

Questions, questions. 😂 Thank you for your time.

You would be looking for any faeces stuck around the bottom which will attract flies, the bumps would be on the skin under the fur, an advanced case would sadly see maggots eating the flesh around their bottom (that is sadly an emergency PTS situation).

Its not common for flystrike to happen in well kept animals and it is less common in indoors piggies but it does still happen and doing those checks is still advisable (particularly if you see bottle type flies around). If you don’t handle them, then I can see why you wouldn’t want to do it twice a day but it is still advisable to check them in summer even if you only do it once a day, particularly any older or frail piggies who may not be keeping themselves clean. I don’t handle my two rabbits usually and even though I am stringent with cage hygiene (extra stringent in summer) the checks are still done twice a day (much to their dismay!) as a flystrike death is truly horrific.

There is just no need to use the sprays - cleanliness and checks is your absolute best defence. I would only ever use a spray like this with vet advice and if there was a high risk animal. And in my 35+ years of small animal keeping (and outside animals at that), I have never used a spray and the vet has never advised me to need to use a spray - just that cleanliness and vigilance is the best method.

Back