Jumping, is it dangerous?

IDal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a pet store bought cage (50x100) with second floor, which I shouldn’t have bought in the first place, but I have now. The cage is permanently open to a CC cage of 2x4. I have two young boars living in it. To get from the cage to CC cage, the have to go over the original cage base. I have done this with ramp and platforms in different heights, but I seem to have 2 jumpers who insist jumping is way easier than using ramps or smaller jumps to different platforms. They can use ramps, as getting from the bottom to the top floor they do take the ramp. Also, they jump on and off the hideys just for fun it seems (22cm high) and jump from the hidey into a hammock. They really jump flawless but I am worried they will get hurt. Is it dangerous for them to jump? Or will they simply stop doing it at some point (I can imagine when they get bulkier they can’t anymore). They are now about 650grams each. because they jump so flawlesly I have added extra 3x9 grid to the standard 9x9 grid and a roof grid to prevent them from jumping the run (and hopefully also from trying).

One of mine used to jump on and off of the roof of their hidey houses but as he has got older (they are now 4) he now doesn’t do it (and hasn’t done for a couple of years)l
If they couldn’t do it, then they wouldn’t so I wouldnt be too concerned.

Thanks. I read everywhere that guinea pigs are fragile and can’t jump. looking at my piggies, I some time feel as though I accidentally bought rats instead of piggies. One of them tried climbing the gates at some point (didn’t get far luckily).

Mine have wooden castles that came with ramps to get to the top. I ended up taking the ramps off as they were jumping up and down and I was worried they would catch their feet on the ramp! They don’t have any problems with getting up or getting down at all, the youngest is 1 and a half and the oldest is nearly 4.

One of my guinea pigs regularly jumped onto our sofa and off again. No encouragement needed or ever given, she is very agile. I would not worry, as they get older they may curb their gymnastics

Thanks. I read everywhere that guinea pigs are fragile and can’t jump. looking at my piggies, I some time feel as though I accidentally bought rats instead of piggies. One of them tried climbing the gates at some point (didn’t get far luckily).

Hi

There is a big difference between voluntary small jumps onto the top of a hidey or blind jumps in a panic from a large height - the first are perfectly fine; the second aren't. A few guinea pigs will also jump up stairs (but not more than one step down). Accidental falls off too steep hutch ramps with insufficient grip and protection can als be fatal.

Guinea pigs have sharp sight for only about 30-50 cm (which is about the height they can jump safely up and down); after that they will react to sudden movements (i.e.pouncing predators) but they no longer see their environment focussed. As a species, they have evolved living in dense underground, which is why sight is their weakest sense whereas it is our strongest human sense; their senses of smell, taste and hearing as well as sensory perception via their whiskers (which could also help with predator perception) are much stronger than ours.

Younger piggies are generally much more agile and energetic; they are the generally the big jumpers and also the ones at highest risk of accidents. But this is very personality dependent. I currently have a 6 year old who will still jump on top of her hut but a teenager who wouldn't even think about jumping on anything... And I did have a stair climber who absolutely loved to jump and who revelled in the 'high life' at one point.

You may find the information in these guide links here interesting and helpful in avoiding the dangerous panicky blind jumps:
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview (see for senses ampoungst other body facts)

Practical tips on understanding prey animal instincts and how to avoid the risk of freak jumps:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

All these guides are part of our helpful practical and informative new owners' guide collection (bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience): Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back