Jazzing up hutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've had my new hutch for just over a month (it's windermere from P@h) And the pigs are going to be in it all winter. Is there any small inprovements i can do it to?

It would help us if you posted a pic of it?
Check the wood as perhaps it could do with a coat of wood preservative? animal friendly one of course :)

That looks nice :)
As you have only had it a month I am sure the wood is fine. Is it going to be outside or in a shed? You will need a hutch hugger if your shed isnt heated to protect the piggies from the cold and you could line the bottom of the hutch with cheap stick on vinyl tiles so that their wee doesnt soak into the wood. Lay cardboard on top of this to help insulate it followed by newspaper and hay :)

You will definately need a hutch hugger then. They can be quite expensive but very very necessary. As well as protecting from cold, it helps protect against foxes etc. Have a look on ebay and make sure you get the correct one for your hutch as they come in different sizes. You will need extra bedding too for warmth when it gets colder and always check their water bottles as they can freeze. You can get covers for these too.
In all honesty, it would be better to bring the hutch indoors for the winter...could you not do that? :)
Imagine going out in all weathers to clean the hutch and spend time with your piggies...Brrrrrrrrr

Yeah , I do have some grids and that . But i don't really have that much room in my room . I could persuade mum.... Last time they were on fleece and they got really smelly! Because i didnt have any correx.

When i had piggies outside years ago i don't think hutch huggers existed. I used to use a thick blanket to cover the hutch front (leaving a gap for air to circulate) & cover the whole lot with a tarpaulin or thick plastic.

Cleaning them out in the wind, snow & rain wasn't much fun tho' :(

Yer that hutch should be fine for them just get a hutch hugger and a bottle snug from p@h (size varation important) so your little friends water does not freeze (ice lollys in winter are not nice!) dont worry about cleaning outside a fleece and all that should be ok remember the guinea pigs always come first no matter what i have to clean a bird avary in the winter and BELIVE ME that is not fun cleaning up after 48 lovebirds their poo is impossible unlike the piggys were you just mash it up with the newspaper

Easy peasy! O0

Liam

Do you have an aviary then Liam? We would love some piccys of that!

i would definitely suggest keeping them warm, i would agree, that in a shed, or indoors would be better for you and them, mine go in a shed, which i practically live in lol, if not htough, hutch hugger and insulation, pleanty of hay etc. as for jazzing, maybe some toys, hanging maybe, tubes houses, hide some treats, stuff toilet rolls with hay, just stuff to keep them occupied would be grreat! O0

i'd love to send pics in but the stupid birds are terrifyed of the flash lol

sorry :(

Maybe if we get a nice sunny day, you wont have to use the flash ;)

could they just go in the small hutch in the shed at bedtime and use your new hutch outside during the day ? :)

Yes definatly if that ever happens lol ;D Ill try and get some (how do you get pics on to this web page?

Liam O0

sammy said:
could they just go in the small hutch in the shed at bedtime and use your new hutch outside during the day ? :)

i think that would be a great idea,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back