• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ivomectin injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay7

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Last week when my foster piggy Murphy was ill as I'm sure you will all have read about him not eating etc ,well the RSPCA lady took him the first time to the vet and they gave him an ivomectin (sp) injection as he has a pit of a patch on his back that looked like hair was just growing back.

He had to go back again today for another, she thought that he had to have the two but the vet said he needs another next week, even though he has not got mites.

Not very up on vet treatments still alot to learn.

Can anyone explain it to me and does three jabs seem alot or is it normal.

thanks Lindsay x

ps He is back to normal now after building him up syringe feeding him on Science Recovery bless him :smitten:

My vet told me i only have to go back once, my rosie is being treated, her hair is growing back but i have to take her back this week for 2nd shot (i hate it it made her scream)

When weenie had mites she had 3 injections, one a week. She was such a good girl she didn't even flinch or make a sound.

Wonder why he is having a third and he has not got mites. Wonder if its because they think he has had them before. With him being a foster i dont know if he has had them or not.

Not really sure what Invomectin (sp) is used for.

Ivermectin should be given on day one and day ten. My vet gives it orally, I've only had one really bad case where the pigs were malnourished and suffering badly from mites were they had an injection to get it into the blloodstream quicker- they had Ivermectin on day one and ten and it cleared up fine, some were quite bald in parts :)

Ivermectin attacks the nervous system of mites when they suck guinea's blood :)

For mites they need a course of three injections or given orally 7 to 10 days apart. Sometimes a 4th injection may be needed if its a very bad case of mites but normally three in enough.
Best friend is a vet ;) So I get a lot of information from her if I need it.

so cool, when i took my rosie to vet last week she asked me if she could bring her kids down to see the baby pigs, i was like yeah! u can be my friend!

Clare said:
so cool, when i took my rosie to vet last week she asked me if she could bring her kids down to see the baby pigs, i was like yeah! u can be my friend!
We have been best friends since we were 4years old and both of us will be 37 next year ;D she married a vet too and have just opened their first practice.

With him not having mites is the three jabs excessive? Or is it normal to give three if they suspect he has had them due to the small patch of fur growing back. :)

karenrgpr said:
Excessive in my opinion...

I hate the fact that I'm not fully incharge of him as i would have asked why he is having so much when he hasnt got mites.

Karen do you know if this can be harming him? If so should i say to the RSPCA i think its too much and not necessary? Do these jabs just kill mites or do they prevent them getting them as well?

Sorry for all the questions Karen just that i hate not knowing things. :)

Well I would most definitely ask if it was absolutely necessary to have three jabs! Poor little thing :smitten:

The right dose won't hnarm him, Ivermectin only works for 14 days so will prevent anything for 14 days...

Its a difficult one, when I started fostering for the RSPCA they virtually gave me a free rein, but you need to be careful and keep them onside- they're just listening to a 'proffessional'. Try phoning them and saying that in your opinion the injection is unnecessary as he's recovering now but at the first sign of it getting worse you'll let them know :-\ Or perhaps you could take him to the vets, even if he does have to have an inj it'll give you a chance to get to know them.

karenrgpr said:
The right dose won't hnarm him, Ivermectin only works for 14 days so will prevent anything for 14 days...

Its a difficult one, when I started fostering for the RSPCA they virtually gave me a free rein, but you need to be careful and keep them onside- they're just listening to a 'proffessional'. Try phoning them and saying that in your opinion the injection is unnecessary as he's recovering now but at the first sign of it getting worse you'll let them know :-\ Or perhaps you could take him to the vets, even if he does have to have an inj it'll give you a chance to get to know them.

I took him last week when he was not eating as the RSPCA didnt have transport on that day they took him when he was first poorly. I felt better taking him as he is with me all the time and i could explain things better to them. Just seems odd to have all those jabs when he has not got mites. If it only covers for 14 days i think its a bit much. Pleased it wont harm him in anyway though.

I have a good relationship with the RSPCA so dont want to come across as trying to tell them what to do. So i think i will leave it. But def will speak up another time if things dont seem right.

Thanks Karen your such a great help, and you have given me some good advice. Murphy appreciates it too. :smitten: :smitten:

You definitely should stay onside with the RSPCA, I've had a couple of run ins with one member but we understand each other now and its silly to bite the hand that feeds or pays your vet bills :) You could do so much good by gentle education. Simply saying that you would like to go to the vet because you can answer any questions and ask any should they arise is a good idea- no need to go in all guns blazing, it gets you nowhere :)

He is fighting fit now thanks. Cheeky little monkey is chewing everything in sight. My briefcase got it last night and the sofa the other night.

:smitten: :smitten:

lindsay7 said:
He is fighting fit now thanks. Cheeky little monkey is chewing everything in sight. My briefcase got it last night and the sofa the other night.

:smitten: :smitten:

Ahhh! Bless 0:) Deffo right as rain now then! ;D ;D That's really good news :smitten:

Well of course he'ss spolit - that's what they're invented for! ;D ;D ;D So so so glad to hear he's recovering well. It's madness when they're poorly. :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back