• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ivermec dosage

• Thread starter Thread starter Bailey_272
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bailey_272

Hi, I just got home from the vet and he gave me ivermec. He said to give Chloe 0.05 ml..once a week for 4 weeks...Does this sound right! and shes taking it orally

were just doing this as a caution! we are not sure if she needs it..but he said it wouldnt hurt to treat her anyway...

Hi

2 drops administered every 3 months should cover them according to Vedra at the CCT

Sam

The oral dose for Ivermectin is one drop straight into the mouth on day one ,followed by another drop on day 10.

I only give Ivermectin if the piggy has mites,I do not gilve any drug on a "just in case" basis.The routine admisitration of drugs such as Ivermectin could build up a resistence which may lesson the affectivness of the drug when it is really needed.This happened to many of the antimalarial drugs when uses as a prophylactise for travellers.The aminopholese mosquitos became resistant to the drug.

There is now a topical form of Ivermectin which is very good,and I feel it may be better than the oral .

Too much and unnecessary.

Sam, Ivermectin is only effective for 14 days.

I give orally on day 1 and 10 also a bath to get rid of eggs.

sorry! I'm alittle confused? too much and unnessary? for Chloe....why would my vet give me this then?

Sorry, the dose is too much as in I would only give it 3 times in 30 days, not 4 in 21. Therefore its not necessary, sorry for the confusion :)

Yesss...i figured that maybe once every 10 days up to 3 times...but i didnt want to argue with the vet..hahaha

You don't have to argue, just tell them about the life cycle of mites LOL! I don't 'do' arguements, just discussions :)

I'm curious as to why everyone is advising x number of drops when we don't even know the dosage or the size of the pig? Depending on the pig and the type of ivermectin used "1 drop" or "2 drops" could be either an underdose or an overdose depending on the type of oral ivermectin given as it comes in lots of different concentrations.

Follow the instructions here - http://www.guinealynx.com/ivermectin.html

I am with Karen on this one. Vedra at CCT recommends one drop of oral Ivermectin on day one aand one drop on day 10 for any weight gp.I have done this in the past with no adverse reaction and it worked.

I now use Zeno 450 which I get from my trusted vet.

Guinealynx is a good source of information ffor some issues,but I always feel that the US drug doses are a bit high.

I prefer to use meds that I know from use on my own pigs ,are safe aand effective.

I do take with a pinch of salt a lot of the info from Vedra but I do trust her on skin problems because she has done a lot of research over many years,and this I respect.

Ivermectin is widely available in different concentrations in the UK, all of which can be administered orally - 0.5%, 1% and 1.87% and others that I don't know about. I can't believe that "1 drop" of each of these is accurate. The strength available in the USA is exactly the same as here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back