• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I’ve had two guinea pigs pass

newlollyvideos

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I come here with only sad news.

The other day, I posted here about my very sick guinea pig, Butterball. He was seeming to get better, but the other night I got home from work and he was writhering in pain, almost like a seizure. It was the night before his veterinarian appointment. We took him to an emergency vet where he passed almost instantly. I asked her opinion (ironically, she was the guinea pig expert veterinarian they have) and she told me he was most likely an older piggy, and didn’t have any outward signs unless we wanted to have him cut open and looked at for $$$, which we declined. After a lot of research, I determined regardless of death, he definitely had some sort of mites and I’m currently waiting on the ivermectin that was mailed from a farm store to me.

About three days before he passed, I introduced another guinea pig into my home from a pet store. He was a skinny pig, very obviously a baby, very sweet. I came home from work tonight and he was dead. Cold, stiff. No scratching or bite marks, nothing he could have choked on... he was just gone.

I’ve owned guinea pigs for over a year now, so I’m sure it’s not my care.

I’m terrified. I have other piggies in this home and I have no idea what to do. I can’t afford to lose another one, my mental health can’t take it as I give them my all. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on? Is it probable that the deaths weren’t related? Is there some type of viral infection?

I’m so sorry for the loss of your piggies. Unfortunately you may never know what they died of. Some pet shop bought piggies are already stressed before you bring them home. Take care ❤️

I’m so sorry for your loses. Please do not beat yourself up.

A side story. My mom and step father rescued a beautiful dog a few years back. The dog was in good spirits but has trouble eating upon inception. Took her their vet and the dog was riddled with cancer. Ultimately the dog did not even last a week. My mom and step father were devastated to say the least.

Sometimes even pet store bought pigs have health issues unbeknownst to anyone.

Please, again, do not blame yourself. Take care of yourself and your other piggies.

Sudden deaths in guinea pigs happen. And they always come as a tremendous shock.
There isn't anything you could have done if the piggy hasn't shown any signs of illness. So please, don't blame yourself.

It is also not unusual for a very sick piggy to seemingly get better before the end comes.

Were your other piggies in direct contact with these two?

Back