I've given myself a problem with the C&C

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a new C&C set up which included pre-cut corex liner which will be new housing for when Russell is introduced to my 2 girls. I currently have the same for my other 3 piggies but I bought the corex separately and cut it to size myself making it with fairlly high sides. I line it with washable pads and fleece over the top of the pads. The newly bought corex base has very shallow sides and I planned to use aubiose and hay to line it. I am now realising that the shallow sides will allow everything to end up all over the floor and be a nightmare so I need a re-think but the c&c is too big to have one fleece liner as it will not go in my washing machine. What do other forum members use? I welcome any suggestions/photos 🤔

Mmmm ……I bought extra corex from Amazon and cut it to size to block the areas that the hay gets thru ( I just use hay but the c& c cage is against a wall ) and to block a radiator.
I tied it on with cable ties - works really well

I use fleece liners the largest of which is 3x2. To cover my 5x3 cage I use 2 3x2 and a bobble bath mat for the hay area. In my 4x2 cages I use a 3x2 and a bath mat in the hay areas. I used to have larger liners but as you say its hard to fit them in the machine. I use pee pads under the houses and log tunnels/step stools which saves having to change the liners quite so often.

Are both cages the same size?
If that's the case, could you just switch the correx bases?
You would have to clean the older correx thoroughly before the switch.

Or you could us smaller pee pads that wash more easily.

You can buy sheets of correx equivalent at Wickes - it’s 2mm but I’ve used it in all my four cages to make bases without any problems and it’s lasted well. And it’s not very expensive either.

I bodged a border with cut up cardboard boxes, wedged between the correx and C&C grids. I meant to find a long term solution but... money 😂 as a bonus it gives them something to chew instead of the correx 🙄

The new c&c is larger than current Ferplast home, where I use Aubiose with a thick covering of hay. My 3 other sows are in a c&c with a corex base with high sides that I made myself which has pee pads under a large fleece but it generates a lot of washing :( I will look into the replies that forum members have posted and hopefully find a solution. Thanks everyone !

I use fleece liners the largest of which is 3x2. To cover my 5x3 cage I use 2 3x2 and a bobble bath mat for the hay area. In my 4x2 cages I use a 3x2 and a bath mat in the hay areas. I used to have larger liners but as you say its hard to fit them in the machine. I use pee pads under the houses and log tunnels/step stools which saves having to change the liners quite so often.
Wish I had done the same. I only have a 2x4 liner but its still takes so much energy to deal with.

I'd get 2 liners for a bigger cage.

I bodged a border with cut up cardboard boxes, wedged between the correx and C&C grids. I meant to find a long term solution but... money 😂 as a bonus it gives them something to chew instead of the correx 🙄

This is what I was going to suggest. It'll keep the the litter contained, and give them a chew toy as well! You can just replace it every so often if it gets too chewed or stinky.

I’m another one who bodged a border after the high sides of the correx base became low sides in many places due to nibbling. I used the 2mm from Wickes although the main base is 4mm. The plastic anti-nibble binders slide onto the 2mm easier although one of my piggies has worked out how to remove them. @poggle suggestion of cardboard is probably better if you’ve got nibblers 😢

i find i use an inch of aubiose,in a kavee c and c cage,it does not tend to go everywhere once it has settled.i now have commercial cages ,but i use aubiose or megazorb in those.line the cage with newspaper or puppy pads first.

Back