• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh my now it's Lottie. :'( :'(

Same thing as Wallace, no outward symptoms, eating her dry food, hay & veg & drinking & running around as normal but tonight i weighed her & she's a tiny 1lb 5oz!

On 14th Jan she was 1lb 15oz - i am out of my mind with worry. I've brought her into the house to keep her warm & monitor her, i did think she may have diarrhoea as i'd seen soft poops on their food bowl but she hasn't. However, her poops are tiny, like a baby piggies size.

I'm at the hosp tomorrow afternoon, Dylan's at the vets (for his epilepsy) 3 hours after my app. I'm going to try to get her into one for tomorrow evening.

I'm now wondering if they've caught something from Floyd (step-daughters rabbit) as he's been sneezing. He's in the house quarantining & is on Baytril, 1ml daily after the vet said he had a viral infection.

His symptoms started whilst i was in hospital but i have no idea how long he'd been sneezing before i said he'd to come into the house away from the guineas.

I'll keep you posted :(

Niki x

oh no! Dont worry too much I'm sure she will be fine!

Good Luck!

Oh no Niki, not again.

There is something that can be passed from rabbits to guineapigs, or the other way, I can't remember what but I'll post on RU and see if anyone knows.

Hope she's ok

Do you have any more info on this? symtoms other than what you have mentioned & suggested treatment?

hils78 said:
Do you have any more info on this? symtoms other than what you have mentioned & suggested treatment?

If you look on the RU link that Kathryn posted there is a detailed article from the link posted by Jack's-Jane. Doesn't sound good though if it is that :(

I just wish the vets didnt charge so damn much for consulation and treatment,I dont mind paying but I swear sometimes they rip us off totally,I called Vedra the other day for some advice and she was really good,Tia's on sudafed at the mo and vick for her nose but its taking forever

furryfriends said:
kayjay said:
Oh no Niki, not again.

There is something that can be passed from rabbits to guineapigs, or the other way, I can't remember what but I'll post on RU and see if anyone knows.

Hope she's ok

I think its bordetella. Rabbits can pass it to guinea pigs.

Have just looked up bordetella on google and i have found this description:

Guinea pigs : Bordetella bronchiseptica is the most common bacteria causing respiratory disease in guinea pigs. It results in abnormal respiratory sounds, sneezing, a nasal discharge, inappetance, depression, weight loss and in severe cases death.

Hopefully its nothing like this. I really hope she feels better soon but I would definitely get her checked by the vet.

She's eating, drinking fine & is her usual feisty self. Tho' today she has some crusting round her eyes, exactly the same as Wallace & her dramatic weightloss again the same as Wallace.

No sneezing, no discharge, nothing & she ate all the veg i gave her last night.
Today i've syringe fed her mushed Wagg pellets & she took it with no probs.

I'm out of my mind with worry, I have no idea if it'll pas on to my other piggies & if it is this bordetella, it says, unfortunately, animals that survive the acute stages become carriers of the infection :(

She's booked into the vets at 9.30 tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know how we get on.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow Niki

Kathryn xx

Thanks Kathryn & Debbie,
I'm really worried & am hoping it's a treatable virus (you know what i mean) & all this worry & upset will set me off into one helluva flare if i'm not careful so i'd better start thinking happy thoughts & stop  :'(

UPDATE: Weighed her again tonight & she's put on 2oz (am hoping she'll keep it on :))

Thank you Glynis & Lucinda :)

I've spoken to Vedra tonight, she seemed to think, because the piggies are outside in a shed, wild mice have contaminated their hay/food but when i explained their food, hay straw etc was stored in the house she said their water must be contaminated but how can that be?

We did have problems with rats in the summer, which is when i started to keep all their food etc in the house & because the rat(s) couldn't get into their hutches it/they ate their water bottles but not one of the piggies became ill.

When i had their hutches built i used the smallest mesh i could find, the grids measures 13mm x 13mm & if wild mice are getting into their hutches how small does the mesh have to be to stop them?

It's a huge worry as Vedra said there is a big risk that all the piggies could succumb to whatever it is.

oh no, I'm so sorry. Can you get the guys inside and completely decontaminate everything?

Lucinda said:
oh no, I'm so sorry. Can you get the guys inside and completely decontaminate everything?

Yes can you Niki? Even if it's a bit cramped to start off with perhaps it may help?
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* for you both

Unfortunately not  :(  We just haven't got the room & i haven't got the cages. I'd need 3 for the single boys (1 each), 1 for Lottie & a double-sized one for Maddie & Albie.
Floyd the bunny's in my "hospital cage" at the mo & poor lotties in a makeshift cage.  :( :(

My only way round that would be to do one hutch at a time but that wouldn't solve the problem if it was wild mice because they'd just get in again wouldn't they - i just don't know what to do.

Wilbur's also giving me cause for concern, he'd left some of his veg which is not normal for him, i hope he's not going to start with it too, maybe he's missing Wallace. I feel i'm the crappest guinea-mum there is :(

No your'e not, you;re not well yourself. Do you think you could have bene contaminated too?

Good question Lucinda, i'll find out next Tuesday if there was anything lurking in my lungs ::)

I doubt it tho' i became ill so long ago & the piggies were fine, i have wondered if they could've caught something from me! :-\

I'm now looking into my OH making a wooden framed shelf like set of temporary hutches that i could squash into our bedroom somewhere (he's gonna be soo pleased - NOT ;D) That'd mean they'd ALL be in the house & i can keep an eye on them.

Does anyone know how much food i should be syringe feeding Lottie & how often? She's great with the syringe, she nibbles the end like a teat expecting it to just flow bless her.

I have been giving her 20ml every 3-4 hours & she scoffs the lot & she's polished off the majority of the bowl of veg i gave her.

Just thought of something else, if i can get all the piggies in the house what's safe to de-contaminate the hutches with? I use Genie Disinfectant every hutch clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back