• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itchy, Scabby and Bald Patches

• Thread starter Thread starter thefantasicfour
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thefantasicfour

Hello! I am new to all this so please bear with me! (yes and i have mis-spelt my user name so if anyone knows how I can change this please let me know!)

My Boy Guinea, Mixi is a tad poorly. :'( He has small circular patches of hair missing with red patches or scabs. He has been scratching some of them as I found quite a deep cut on his back. I have bathed him and stopped using hay as bedding but he is still getting more and more patches and scabs, mainly at his back end. He seems fine in himself, still nosey and scoffs anything i put in front of him. Its the first time I have had a poorly guinea pig so would be grateful for any help. He is housed outside in a cage but I live in Spain so the temperature is not too cold.

its sound like ring worm which is catching, but others on here are more wise than I, hopefully someone like Karen will answer she is knowledgeable,

Oh and hi welcome to the forum, I am Emma

It may be ringworm, or it may be mites. You need a vet either way. If it is mites they will prescribe ivomec (I think). I hope somebody more knowledgable comes along soon and helps you!

It sounds like mites, first and foremost. Your piggy is likely to be in a lot of pain so I would get him to the vet as soon as possible. Remember that he needs hay to eat all the time. Read about mites here - http://www.guinealynx.com/mites.html

It could also be a number of things, like a fungal infection as mentioned above, which is why it's important to have him checked out.

I agree with DSL, it could be mites. I had a guinea pig just the same and he had mites. A trip to the vet should sort him out. :)

You will have to re-register if you want to change your name. :)

Good luck with your boy and welcome to the forum!

Louise
x

Sounds like mites to me O0 Id get him to the vets and the others if any too as they could catch them 0:)

Any picces of him :smitten:

Yep I would get any cage mates to the vets as well but don't seperate as they may not be friends if they are seperated for a while. :)

As above, you need to take guinea to a vet and get Ivermectin (Mites) and I give mine a CocoNeem Melt and Manuka and Neem bath too. I get these from Gorgeous Guineas

But, if its mites you must treat with Ivermectin too and they need a bath.

Mine all have mites now. :'( I'll be ringing the vet first thing.

Oh Becca, they are a bloomin pain! Lice are as well! Horrid things! Good luck at the vets x

Anyone have any ideas how I can get 4 pigs to the vets on foot by myself? Why does this have to happen when I am trying to move house?

Do you have any carriers? The cardboard ones would do from P@H they are only £1.99 I use them.

Well, P@H is about 10 minutes walk from here, so depending on what time the vet can fit me in I may have to pop done there and get a couple! If not, I'll be taking them in two seperate trips, and probably get charged for 2 consultations!

Thanks for all your input. I have been to Spanish vets (the first one I went to said they we not experts on guinea pigs but would have a look so I opted for another vet Surgery) I have been given some ointment (all in Spanish of course) that apparently treats fungal infections and mites. I have to apply twice a day for 7-10 days. If still a problem after this I have to return to the vets. Meanwhile my guinea seems un-phased by all of this and seems to be loving all the attention! Will let u know if treatment works or not. My other 3 pigs seem ok at this stage. :)

Unless the cream contains Ivermectin(which I doubt) it will not get rid of the mites.

The ingredients (all in spanish of course) are miconazol nitrato, prednisolona acetato, polimixina B sulfato and excipiente q.b.p. Am 7 days into treatment now. I thought the cream seemed to have worked, still lots of bare patches but redness gone but have just found 2 new tiny scabby red patches! Thought we had won but maybe not. Mixi is still chilled about the whole experience but I am fed up now. Want my guinea back to normal! :tickedoff:

With the miconazole it sounds like an anti-fungal. This won't help mites, unfortunately. Ivermectin is the name of the active ingredient in what you need - it's available all over the world.

Write down Ivermectin and take the paper to the vets so you dont forget! Thats what I do when one of these lovely forum members gives me a long word to remember! Good luck back at the vets!

:'( Hi - first time online. One of my Guinea Pigs has developed sore bald patches - Been to Vets, today, she gave him an antibiotic and shaved fur around area that was already going bald & sore. This evening, the patches seem red-raw and with fresh blood on the skin surface. He's obviously in some pain and I feel as though it ought to be treated with cream and a dressing. My Mum will go back to the Vets, in the morning and ask for some sort of "antiseptic" cream. What else can I do tonight ? Any suggestions ?
Jon (aged 13)

Welcome to the forum Jon.

Try and find another vet,not easy to find one that knows about gps I know.What area are you in?,we may know of a better vet in the area.

There was no need to shave the hair from around the sore area.,and an anti biotic is a waste of time(and your mums money).These bald patches are caused by mites and the only treatment to get rid of them is Ivermectin.This is available as a topical lotion.It is called Zeno 450,you will have to ask your vet for this.Ask the vet to do the first dose and show you how to do it.The piggy will need a second dose on day 10. The Ivermectin can also be given orally but this is not quite so affective.

Antiseptic creams will not help. Go to a health food shop and get a tube of Calendula ointment.You might be able to get this in a chemist or Boots as well.

Jon can you tell me what ointments ,creams you have in the house,as you need something overnight. I will stay online till you reply.

Cut the piggies nails as short as possible as well,as the blood is caused by the gp scratching.

Hi mary, thanks, we live near Kidderminster in Worcestershire. sudocrem is all we have!

forgot to say - the vet thought it was caused by the matted hair which keeps appearing, no matter how often i brush. He is a scruffy long haired guinea pig but cute aswell.

I think its mites and they are under the skin and are not seen by our eyes and this will need ivermectin which is great and after a few treatments (only 3 needed every so often) their hair grows back and will be less itchy for the piggy which makes the scabs by itching too much O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back