• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itchy hair falling out

• Thread starter Thread starter cocoandcrisp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cocoandcrisp

:( I have to pigs coco and crisp. coco is a an albino who is in great condition. crisp has been itching the past couple weeks and is losing hair. Someone on the internet suggested bag balm to help with possible mites. i am in the process of looking for a vet.Can anyone verify this info. or suggest something else

Yep it sounds like mites, i think you're best going to a vet and asking for ivermectin for mites, I'm not sure about the balm sorry, hope he's feeling better soon x

What is bag balm?.The only affective treatment for mites is Ivermectin,so you need to see a vet.

In between the Ivermectin dosages you will need to shampoo in one of GG`s shampoos. Email Chrissie and she will advise you.

[email protected]

Have a look at gg website as well because there is very good info on there about parasitic and fungal infestations.

Bag balm does'nt work! I say your piggie either has mites or it maybe something serious! I don't believe so because of the itching part!

Its a balm that you put on a cows udder if its like chapped or something I dont see how that could get rid of mites because it is like used as hand cream too!

you it is probs mites you will want to get an anti mite shampoo but chek with the vets because it coild be another type of parasite but make sure you wash both your piggies once a month with anti mite and parasite shampoo, (should find it in your local pet store if not Pets At Home have them pls they last ages) i do mine once amonth and they are fine plus they dont smell to bad eaither

Hope i helped

next_croc-hunter? said:
you it is probs mites you will want to get an anti mite shampoo but chek with the vets because it coild be another type of parasite but make sure you wash both your piggies once a month with anti mite and parasite shampoo, (should find it in your local pet store if not Pets At Home have them pls they last ages) i do mine once amonth and they are fine plus they dont smell to bad eaither

Hope i helped

I wouldn't touch any of the anti-parasitic shampoos you get in Pets at Home with a barge pole. Such shampoos will do nothing for mites and can irritate and dry out the skin.

The ONLY one I would trust is GG Lice n Easy but that's for lice. Mites need to be treated with ivermectin, not shampoo.

Yes daftscotslass that is right but a slight overdose WILL KILL trust me my cousin used this stuff and it killed, it contains neurotoxicity (in other word extremely bad) you have to get the dose spot on shampoo made by pah drys the skin but if you get a brand they are selling then that should be ok.

PS. trust me on this one my cousin was in much grief after seeing that her piggie had been poisened

I have looked in my book (wrote by Peter Gurney who was the owner of 70 piggies) he says use (for parasites) the shampoo that you would use for headlice on humans shampoo allover and leave for 5 mins then wash and repeat again in one weeks time.

next_croc-hunter? said:
Yes daftscotslass that is right but a slight overdose WILL KILL trust me my cousin used this stuff and it killed, it contains neurotoxicity (in other word extremely bad) you have to get the dose spot on shampoo made by pah drys the skin but if you get a brand they are selling then that should be ok.

PS. trust me on this one my cousin was in much grief after seeing that her piggie had been poisened

It must have been a substantial overdose of ivermectin then - it's not easy to overdose if you follow directions correctly. It does go to show that people who are inexperienced should not be self-medicating their animals. Ivermectin does not "contain neurotoxicity" it can cause neurotoxicity if overdosed.

ALL the anti-parasitic shampoos in Pets at Home are junk - they sell them to make money, not because they're good for animals. So it's OK that it dries the skin? I wouldn't agree.

Did you miss the bit in Peter Gurney's book that states "Ideally the guinea pig should have a three monthly dose of the POM ivermectin"? Shampoos are not the treatment of choice for mites - see a vet!

daftscotslass said:
next_croc-hunter? said:

It must have been a substantial overdose of ivermectin then - it's not easy to overdose if you follow directions correctly. It does go to show that people who are inexperienced should not be self-medicating their animals. Ivermectin does not "contain neurotoxicity" it can cause neurotoxicity if overdosed.

ALL the anti-parasitic shampoos in Pets at Home are junk - they sell them to make money, not because they're good for animals. So it's OK that it dries the skin? I wouldn't agree.

Did you miss the bit in Peter Gurney's book that states "Ideally the guinea pig should have a three monthly dose of the POM ivermectin"? Shampoos are not the treatment of choice for mites - see a vet!

1: you are getting a little bit too agressive on this topic
2: if it causes neurotoxicity then it has the toxicity to paralize the motor neurons in the nerves of a guinea pig.
3: Yes i did and i whent to see a vet about shampoos and they read the shampoo details and said it would be fine.

Just calm dow for gods sake i was agreeing with you i was just telling cocoandcrisp to be careful inadvertantly, and if he/she is not sure he should just stick to shampoo's
yes ALWAYS check with your vet they don't lie i'm not a fan of pah but not all things in the place is junk that is a little bit to stereotypical.

plus i never said that their skin drying out is fine when did i say that! also my cousin was not inexperianced she was and is a fine piggie owner and at the time of that particular piggies death she had 34 piggies in total so she was far from inexperienced.

anyway we are here to help so I'm not going to continue in this pointless arguement, lets be mature if you can.

"shampoo made by pah drys the skin but if you get a brand they are selling then that should be ok"

You admitted here they dry out the skin but they sell it so it must be fine.

I'm not being argumentative but I'm certainly not one to stand by while information that is not correct is dished out to new members. I know that my vet would never, ever recommend using one of those shampoos on a pig with mites. EVER. It is NOT a pointless argument when the health and comfort of a piggy is at stake.

I would never, ever recommend using commercially available shampoos to someone who is unsure of what to do. The piggy needs to see a vet as soon as possible and NOT be bathed in any of those useless pet shop shampoos when nobody is sure what the problem is.

No you have misinterpeted my words what i meant was if it is a brand it shouldnt dry the skin thats ehy i said it should be ok

my info is not incorrect ok i would not delibritaly give out incorrect info out to people i find that rude and offensive.
mabye you should think before you speak so I'm not going to bother with this argument any more dont bother trying to heat up the fire anymore because I'm not replying to your arguments unless they have a valid point to which it can help cocoandcrisp

I agree with DSL, if your pet is unwell i.e. has mites, go to the vets. If the vet is a properly qualified vet they will no the correct does of ivomec to use, why mess around with shampoos that dont work and can often make the problem worse when you can just go to the vets and get the pig better in no time? It must have been an awful vets your cousin went to for them to get something as small as ivomec dosage wrong. I definately wouldnt be taking any other pets back to whichever vet prescribed the dosage that killed the pig.

no they did not get the dosage wrong I'm just saying that you have to be careful because it was my cousins mistake. i was agreeing with DSL but he/she started a needless argument i just don't understand it i was agreeing with him/her but i was warning to be careful do you get me?

I am locking this post as I think it has gone off track a little.

The OP has plenty of advice to go through and hopefully the piggie concerned will soon be better.

Please note that TGPF always recommends that pigs are taken to the vets/rodentologist with any health problems.

Please PM me if there are any queries.

Please end this pointless argument,that is not what this forum is for.

Piggies with mites need Ivermectin backed up by GG shampoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back