• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Issue with Guinea pig’s bum

Elli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my adult skinny pig suddenly started having this weird issue with his bum where it almost looks like the knot of a balloon. It happened overnight, no change in routine or anything.
I took him to the vet who, as is common when taking Guinea pigs to the vet, told me it was weird and took all my money.
I have been looking online and haven’t found anything helpful.

He is otherwise happy and healthy and seems completely unbothered. Except the fact his head is always tilted to the side, which the vet had the same response to and which he also is completely unbothered by.

Does anyone know what is going on?
Also how do I post images from my phone I would show a picture but Idk how.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Once you have the words “New Born Pup” under your name you will be able to post pictures. It shouldn’t be too long.

Is there another vet you can go to?
A head tilt can be indicative of several medical conditions or neurological issues.

As weepweeps has said, once your registration completes you will be able to add a picture. In the meantime, is his weight stable at each weight check? Is he pooping?

So my adult skinny pig suddenly started having this weird issue with his bum where it almost looks like the knot of a balloon. It happened overnight, no change in routine or anything.
I took him to the vet who, as is common when taking Guinea pigs to the vet, told me it was weird and took all my money.
I have been looking online and haven’t found anything helpful.

He is otherwise happy and healthy and seems completely unbothered. Except the fact his head is always tilted to the side, which the vet had the same response to and which he also is completely unbothered by.

Does anyone know what is going on?
Also how do I post images from my phone I would show a picture but Idk how.

Hi and welcome

You can upload a picture (ideally via using the the Attach Files button under your post when you write it) once your status has been processed and the New Pup designation appears on the left of your post. Not every format is supported on here (we are not part of social media and run entirely on voluntary member donations) but the Attach Files upload always works.

Does the problem resemble one of the reference pictures in our boar care guide? Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

A head tilt usually indicates either an infection (new or permanent in the wake of an untreated infection), a neurological problem or a clogged outer ear.
Guinea pigs are classed with other small rodents as exotics pets and do usually not feature much in a general vet's curriculum, even though they are a common pet. :(

Thank you so much for the advice on the tilted head, the vet I went to said he seemed to be fine, but I have just found an exotic pets vet and will definitely be taking him ASAP!

I am still wondering about his bum and haven’t found anything like it online. Here is a picture.IMG_7941.jpeg

Is it his penis or his anus? Difficult to be able to tell with the picture from behind

Thank you so much for the advice on the tilted head, the vet I went to said he seemed to be fine, but I have just found an exotic pets vet and will definitely be taking him ASAP!

I am still wondering about his bum and haven’t found anything like it online. Here is a picture.View attachment 230532

Hi

I cannot tell from the angle but this looks like a prolapse of either the anus or the penis sac (see 'cauliflower willy' in our boar care guide - willy is a UK slang term for penis). If it is the first, then it needs to be seen by a vet promptly. The second you will have to live with.

PS: Here is our guide on neurological issues - what little there is on guinea pigs: CBS (Calcified Bulla Syndrome) and Neurological Problems - Symptoms and Care
Profound blindness can in some cases also cause a permanent head tilt but you would have mentioned that.

Good that you have found an exotics vet within your reach.

Maybe he needs a very good clean. Sometimes dirt and debris can form around the base of the penis. I had a piggy once who had a very hard coating around his penis. It literally had to be picked off by the vet. Good luck. I hope the vets can help sort out whatever the problem is.

Back