• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Isoflurane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mary's comment in another thread prompted me to start this one.

Isoflurane really is the very best anaesthetic for a guinea. Please check that the vet will use it.

It is used often for humans too and has a very good "wake up".

Yes I agree,but as I said in the other thread,it is expensive to have installed in the surgery,so a lot of vets will not spend the money.,which is more important to a lot of them than the animals.

Untill something else is discovered,Isoflurine is the safest for gps an d other small animals.

Our vet uses sevoflurane. Belonging to the same family of anaesthetics as iso, it is becoming more commonly used as it induces anaesthesia faster and recovery is faster. It is much more expensive and modern than iso but is equally as safe.

Hi,

I have not heard of this one,but my vet is normally up to date with all drugs.As a matter of interest I will ask her,it is possilble that she is usilng this now.

I have not had one of my piggies aneasthetised this year, but I know they were using Isoflurane last year.

Ours have been using it for a few years now. It doesn't cost any more to clients than iso did. Because it isn't as soluble as iso recovery is much quicker. I've had two piggies operated on using sevo and there were no groggy after effects and the vet said that "wake-up" was practically instantaneous on both occasions.

I haven't really asked about it, though, might do next time I'm in.

In defense of Iso. All of the my piggies who have had this have come round very quickly,have started eating almost straight away,and full mobility has returned within a short time.

I am still going to speak to Anne about this tho,just out of interest.

Will ask my vet what they use. Interesting to know these things! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back