Is this Timothy Hay okay?

InkyandBunbun

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning all!

I recently started mixing two types of Timothy Hay in the GP’s hay box..I use a slightly cheaper Timothy hay for the base (as the boys love to poop and pee where they eat lol) and then top it off with the Natures Own Timothy Hay (will attach a picture below). The boys seem to love it, and will go back to the slightly cheaper hay once they have finished the Natures Own.

I just wanted to check that this Timothy hay was okay, and if not, which nice green Timothy Hay would you recommend? :luv: I would like to buy a bulk box as I feel it would probably save me money in the future..but don’t know where to start…I am UK based, thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_9830.webp
    IMG_9830.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 2
Yes that hay is fine.

There are several online suppliers of bulk hay, but you can also see if you have a local farm shop.
Haybox is one. I’ve used them but a lot of us had trouble with them (poor quality hay, poor customer service, changing subscription charging structure without notifying) and moved away from using them.
I now use happy hay co and buy their orchard hay by the bale.
I also buy meadow hay by the bale from a local farm.

This guide will help you and includes a list is uk suppliers
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Yes that hay is fine.

There are several online suppliers of bulk hay, but you can also see if you have a local farm shop.
Haybox is one. I’ve used them but a lot of us had trouble with them (poor quality hay, poor customer service, changing subscription charging structure without notifying) and moved away from using them.
I now use happy hay co and buy their orchard hay by the bale.
I also buy meadow hay by the bale from a local farm.

This guide will help you and includes a list is uk suppliers
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)
This is really helpful thank you so much! I have seen some trouble with hay box as well so it’s lovely to know there is an alternative!
Thank you for the guide!

Morning all!

I recently started mixing two types of Timothy Hay in the GP’s hay box..I use a slightly cheaper Timothy hay for the base (as the boys love to poop and pee where they eat lol) and then top it off with the Natures Own Timothy Hay (will attach a picture below). The boys seem to love it, and will go back to the slightly cheaper hay once they have finished the Natures Own.

I just wanted to check that this Timothy hay was okay, and if not, which nice green Timothy Hay would you recommend? :luv: I would like to buy a bulk box as I feel it would probably save me money in the future..but don’t know where to start…I am UK based, thank you all!
There are a lot of places to try get your hay from, beware though, some piggies are fussy! 1 bag of timothy hay from one supplier they might devour time and time again, get a bag of timothy hay from another company and they might not go near it! at least that's what mine are like!

There are a lot of places to try get your hay from, beware though, some piggies are fussy! 1 bag of timothy hay from one supplier they might devour time and time again, get a bag of timothy hay from another company and they might not go near it! at least that's what mine are like!
I definitely think my boys have a favourite, they prefer to burrow and make a complete mess out of the cheaper Timothy hay lol!

I buy my timothy by the 10kg bale from Happy Hay - as a warning, most guinea pigs won't like it. It's really stalky and likes to fight back - most won't eat it for that reason, for some reason my pair treat softer hay as if it's either poisonous or ignore it entirely. Weirdos.

Back