Is this normal?

Guineananny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
First time Piggie owner with anxiety, sorry for all the posts!
Got our 2 girlies (11 weeks old) 10 days ago. Is it normal for them to spend most of their time sitting in their hideout? They both come out for food when we are around and I know they come out when we’re in bed. But 90% of the time if I go to talk to them during the day they’re sitting/lying in their hideout. Are they just scared?
Thank you.

It's normal. Fear might be part of it but my pair only come to see me because they assume I'll have food on me.

That's normal. Piggies are prey animals after all, and they feel safest in their hides. They will come out more as they get used to you.

Hello,
First time Piggie owner with anxiety, sorry for all the posts!
Got our 2 girlies (11 weeks old) 10 days ago. Is it normal for them to spend most of their time sitting in their hideout? They both come out for food when we are around and I know they come out when we’re in bed. But 90% of the time if I go to talk to them during the day they’re sitting/lying in their hideout. Are they just scared?
Thank you.

Hi
Please be aware that guinea pigs are crepuscular as species - i.e. they are most active in the early morning and late afternoon/evenings, which is when they would move off to their browsing grounds for feeding on grass (fresh or dry) and forage twice daily. During the middle of the day they mostly sleep and quietly browse close to their territorial group denning area. They like feeling protected and snug.

It may take a while, and some piggies may never be fully comfortable with it to sleep right out in the open - they will only do so when they are feeling totally secure and comfortable.

PS: Most piggies also sleep with their eyes open. They only close them fully when they are either very exhausted or very, very, very relaxed. They have a kind of faraway look in their eyes but as prey animals they have to be able to go alert in literally the blink of an eye. - Just to anticipate another question! :)

Yours are still new and still settling in; give some more weeks and even months but feel very tickled when they start sleeping outside.

Back