Is this normal for my guinea pig?

LunaGirl1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I put in a frozen water bottle this morning for my guinea pigs as it is going to get extremely hot today, one of my boys was picking at the sock surrounding the bottle. I wanted to check if this was normal, if he was trying to sus it out or is he didn't like it in the cage. It also almost looks like he's eating it. I've tried to upload a video but unfortunately it hasn't worked. I'll try again in the replies to get it to work.
I just would like to know if this is normal as I am a first time guinea pig owner.

They explore with their mouths so yes it’s normal. He is just investigating it. You don’t want him to be actual pulling it apart and eating it though

I put in a frozen water bottle this morning for my guinea pigs as it is going to get extremely hot today, one of my boys was picking at the sock surrounding the bottle. I wanted to check if this was normal, if he was trying to sus it out or is he didn't like it in the cage. It also almost looks like he's eating it. I've tried to upload a video but unfortunately it hasn't worked. I'll try again in the replies to get it to work.
I just would like to know if this is normal as I am a first time guinea pig owner.

Hi

Your boy is exploring the new item in his cage as to whether it contains edible fibre or not, which is normal behaviour. You may want to wrap the bottle in a kitchen towel instead if your boy is actually eating holes in the sock. ;)

Here are plenty of other really helpful tips on what you can do to keep your piggies and accommodation as cool a possible and how to avoid common mistakes. It is a combination of lots of little things can really make a surprisingly big difference, especially for extreme heat and prolonged heat waves.
Here is a recap of the most important points and mistakes: Hot weather warning for the UK - plan now to keep your piggies safe!
This is the full guide with ALL the detailed tips, which we have tested and trialled (you may want to bookmark that for later in the summer):
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Hi

Your boy is exploring the new item in his cage as to whether it contains edible fibre or not, which is normal behaviour. You may want to wrap the bottle in a kitchen towel instead if your boy is actually eating holes in the sock. ;)

Here are plenty of other really helpful tips on what you can do to keep your piggies and accommodation as cool a possible and how to avoid common mistakes. It is a combination of lots of little things can really make a surprisingly big difference, especially for extreme heat and prolonged heat waves.
Here is a recap of the most important points and mistakes: Hot weather warning for the UK - plan now to keep your piggies safe!
This is the full guide with ALL the detailed tips, which we have tested and trialled (you may want to bookmark that for later in the summer):
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Thank you so much! He's cuddled up next to the bottle now so I think he enjoys the cool!

Thank you so much! He's cuddled up next to the bottle now so I think he enjoys the cool!

It means that he is somewhat overheated already. Piggies feeling well in themselves won't go near an ice bottle, only if they are feeling too hot; the more they are plastered to a cold place, the more over-heated they are feeling.

PLEASE read the links in my post above - it can really save lives. Just an ice bottle is may not necessarily enough if the room is already really hot so early in the day.

It’s good that he recognises it is a cool area, but do you have a thermometer in the room? Piggies will ignore frozen bottles if they are feeling at a comfortable temperature. If they sit next to the bottles, then it’s likely they are too hot. You need to take extra steps to cool your room down

Yes it's normal for them to nibble/lick anything new. Mine do it with their fleece tunnels even if they've had them before, just because they've been washed. I agree with above, if they're avoiding the cold item then they're probably ok, however if they're glued to it, you'll need to cool down the room further. The links in Wiebke's first post are full of useful and life saving information and I highly recommend reading and bookmarking them for future reference.

Back