• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is this mites?

PeachesPoppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve had my piggy Peaches for an while now. I was checking her over this evening and I saw she had a patch of dry skin on her ear. Is this mites? She’s registered with a vet so I might give them a call anyway but I wondered if this looked familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 190AD640-3A87-4F44-928A-6A19FFA3B57D.webp
    190AD640-3A87-4F44-928A-6A19FFA3B57D.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 25
:agr:
She really does need to see a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.
It could possibly be fungal, so do follow good hygiene practices when handling her.
Does her companion have any similar patches?

Please do not be tempted to try and home treat this before she has seen a vet.
Home treatments rarely work, and can end up masking the real issue making diagnosis and treatment harder in the long run.

I think you are actually quite close to one of the forum recommended vets (see vet list links on the green bar above). She's in Matlock and actually called 'The Guinea Pig Vet"! Whoever you go to see take both pigs - if you have more than 2 ask for their advice on the phone when you make the appointment - some people have a herd!

Hey I’m no expert by a long shot but I have seen a lot of ringworm on piggys ears and it looks like that. If it is ringworm the vets will give you oral medication or they can inject it in your baby. I always went for oral and it does clear it up I think it’s intofungal. my pigs haven’t had ringworm for 2 years now. Good luck

This is what cured my baby’s ringworm. It can be pricey I paid £140 for a bottle once from the vets even though it was £68 online but it’s better than letting them suffer

Attachments

• 7694C55E-310A-468C-84BE-2686A894F918.webp
    7694C55E-310A-468C-84BE-2686A894F918.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi, thank you all. Sorry I didn’t see your replies sooner! I will have her seen by a vet as soon as I can

:agr:
She really does need to see a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.
It could possibly be fungal, so do follow good hygiene practices when handling her.
Does her companion have any similar patches?

Please do not be tempted to try and home treat this before she has seen a vet.
Home treatments rarely work, and can end up masking the real issue making diagnosis and treatment harder in the long run.
Hi, thanks for this. Her companion hasn’t got anything on her that I can see so I’m not sure what it is, but I will try and get her seen asap

I think you are actually quite close to one of the forum recommended vets (see vet list links on the green bar above). She's in Matlock and actually called 'The Guinea Pig Vet"! Whoever you go to see take both pigs - if you have more than 2 ask for their advice on the phone when you make the appointment - some people have a herd!
Hi. I only have two so I can take them both. Matlock isn’t too far from me thankfully so I can take them. I just tried to call them but they’re closed, but I appreciate the tip. Thanks

Back