Is this house suitable for 2-3 guinea pigs that also free roam?

Caramelchip18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
4AF93C2C-37EA-4F84-8AA4-6AEF1AA36034.webp
It’s the pets at home one

Approximate Dimensions (Product): H118 x W162 x D71.5cm
32B7271F-53A4-49C7-B582-02E59279B42D.webp

Or this one? Overall Width : 150cm Overall Depth : 66cm Overall Height : 100cm

I use a C and C cage right now but want something wooden, if these aren’t good please leave suggestions below!

If for two sows, then either is fine - I’d personally go for the pets at home in the first picture one though given its measurements are bigger (Second levels don’t count) and the fact it has a proper floor. Plus the enclosed bedroom area of the second hutch tends to be quite small

Two sows need a recommended size of 150x60cm (120x60 as a minimum), and they would be able to be locked into either one of them, if needed, as they both do meet size requirements.

However, neither are big enough for three piggies (whether it’s three sows or neutered boar/two sows herd) if they ever needed to be locked into it.
180x60cm is needed for three sows/two sows and a neutered boar or a boar pair.

Last edited:
Ahh that’s good, they are both big enough for two pigs, sows over boars as ideally boars need 180x60cm which is also what 3 sows need. I assume you lock them in at night time which is why even though they free roam the hutch still needs to meet the minimum requirements. Also bear in mind not all pigs will use a ramp if they don’t have one already!
Another option could be to make a wooden cage and make a little door to let them in and out when the free roam!

If for two sows, then either is fine - I’d personally go for the pets at home in the first picture one though given its measurements are bigger (Second levels don’t count) and the fact it has a proper floor. Plus the enclosed bedroom area of the second hutch tends to be quite small

Two sows need a recommended size of 150x60cm (120x60 as a minimum), and they would be able to be locked into either one of them, if needed, as they both do meet size requirements.

However, neither are big enough for three piggies (whether it’s three sows or neutered boar/two sows herd) if they ever needed to be locked into it.
180x60cm is needed for three sows/two sows and a neutered boar or a boar pair.
They’re boars and I was thinking about extending it by connecting two if I ever get a third guinea pig

Ahh that’s good, they are both big enough for two pigs, sows over boars as ideally boars need 180x60cm which is also what 3 sows need. I assume you lock them in at night time which is why even though they free roam the hutch still needs to meet the minimum requirements. Also bear in mind not all pigs will use a ramp if they don’t have one already!
Another option could be to make a wooden cage and make a little door to let them in and out when the free roam!
They aren’t always locked in at night, instead I open the cage and let them have access to an extended area that they can’t hurt themselves in or escape from. I was thinking about getting the pets at home one and then extending it with wood possibly.

They’re boars and I was thinking about extending it by connecting two if I ever get a third guinea pig

As you have two boars, then you cannot add a third piggy to the pair. Boars can only be kept in pairs. Three boars together almost always fails, ending in fights and separated piggies. At best the bond would fail and the pair you already have would remain together with the new piggy ending up single. At worst, adding a third boar can break all bonds meaning all three fall out and All of them would have to live in separate cages.
We would never recommend adding a third boar to a bonded pair anyway, but to add, putting two of those hutches together still wouldn’t be big enough if you were to be brave enough to try a boar trio - to have a functioning trio first you have to have the right match of characters which is incredibly difficult to get right with boars, but the second thing is to have an exceptionally large space with an area covering at least three square metres.

If you want more piggies then you will need to have an entirely separate pair of boars; or neuter your boars and after the six week wait to become infertile, split them up and put each one with a sow

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

So, if you were to have the pets at home cage, then it would definitely need to be extended straight away as it isn’t big enough for two boars. 180x60 (6ft x 2ft) is the size required for a boar pair.
Chartwell hutches (available at Home & Roost website, for example) make a 6ft single level hutch which is perfect for a boar pair.

Last edited:
As you have two boars, then you cannot add a third piggy to the pair. Boars can only be kept in pairs. Three boars together almost always fails, ending in fights and separated piggies. At best the bond would fail and the pair you already have would remain together with the new piggy ending up single. At worst, adding a third boar can break all bonds meaning all three fall out and All of them would have to live in separate cages.
We would never recommend adding a third boar to a bonded pair anyway, but to add, putting two of those hutches together still wouldn’t be big enough if you were to be brave enough to try a boar trio - to have a functioning trio first you have to have the right match of characters which is incredibly difficult to get right with boars, but the second thing is to have an exceptionally large space with an area covering at least three square metres.

If you want more piggies then you will need to have an entirely separate pair of boars; or neuter your boars and after the six week wait to become infertile, split them up and put each one with a sow

So, if you were to have the pets at home cage, then it would definitely need to be extended straight away as it isn’t big enough for two boars. 180x60 (6ft x 2ft) is the size required for a boar pair.
Chartwell hutches (available at Home & Roost website, for example) make a 6ft single level hutch which is perfect for a boar pair.
I don’t know how much space I have but I go by the other chart standards so they’re in a 2x4, so I was wanting one that is a 2x4 standard. I wouldn’t add another boar, I would neuter mine, wait snd then get a girl or have two separate houses for them and get a pair of girls. This thread is conflicting because some are saying the first is big enough and some are saying it isn’t.

With boars it’s always recommended that you go one bigger, so a 2X4 of the required minimum for a pair of boars (2x3 is the minimum for sows) however the recommended is a 2x5. As a lot of people on the forum are very experience with boars and their territorial ways that’s why the 180cm long cage is always recommend (it’s what I personally have for my two boys).
The first pets at home hutch falls right in the middle of that so if they are in a 2X4 at the moment and are happy then it may be okay for them!
Making your own does offer lots of flexibility, that’s what we did so we could get it the size and look we required!
This is our wooden and plexi cage it measures 180cmx70cm.

Also on your point about adding a sow, this is quiet possibly the worst thing you could do I am afraid, they would fight over her and it would be a disaster, it’s on boat per group of Sows.
3F3C2340-17A4-42B3-8929-B39B2C06FAF8.webp

The top one is bigger than a 2x4 c and c which is 120 x 60, so I'm going to see if I can get two of those if I can’t build my own. I can’t really buy anything until I measure out the room they’re going in.

With boars it’s always recommended that you go one bigger, so a 2X4 of the required minimum for a pair of boars (2x3 is the minimum for sows) however the recommended is a 2x5. As a lot of people on the forum are very experience with boars and their territorial ways that’s why the 180cm long cage is always recommend (it’s what I personally have for my two boys).
The first pets at home hutch falls right in the middle of that so if they are in a 2X4 at the moment and are happy then it may be okay for them!
Making your own does offer lots of flexibility, that’s what we did so we could get it the size and look we required!

Also on your point about adding a sow, this is quiet possibly the worst thing you could do I am afraid, they would fight over her and it would be a disaster, it’s on boat per group of Sows.
View attachment 176612
these guinea pigs were housed with females and males and didn’t fight, that’s why it was suggested. I’m not dumb, I know about the behaviour of both boats and sows and wouldn’t just throw them in. What I really want is to get two separate houses, one for a pair of rescue girls if I ever decide to get more guinea pigs and one for my boys that I have now. My guinea pigs are happily in a 2x4 c and c and don’t fight and they are 4 months and 8-9 months old. They were introduced by the person I got them off in the same week I got them. (At the time I did look into rescues but they were empty just like the adoption corner in a pet store because during the pandemic people have been buying a ton). I wouldn’t put my boars in a stressful situation, I’m moving house so I don’t know how much space I have yet but there’s going to be a spare room.

I want one in my living room at the back so they can wonder around and do free roaming or if I have enough room in the spare room I want it to be the guinea pigs room. But rest assured I wouldn’t put my boots in danger or stress and they are well looked after.

View attachment 176612
I’ve already spent £300 on them within a month and a bit, I wouldn’t be able to get any hutch or decided anything until I have the necessities for my house. All of my cages will meet the RSPCA and rescue standard here in my country

Pardon my spelling errors 😂 and I would stack c and c cages if I did have 4 but I have this immense fear of them collapsing

None of what I’ve wrote is meant to insult or be rude btw so I’m sorry if my tone comes across that way, thank you guys for the help. If anybody here could show me there’s or has any tips on making sure c and c grids don’t collapse when on top of each other/ any way to make it more sturdy and presentable then please let me know :)

The top one is bigger than a 2x4 c and c which is 120 x 60, so I'm going to see if I can get two of those if I can’t build my own. I can’t really buy anything until I measure out the room they’re going in.

The top hutch is almost the same size as a 2x4 c&c as most 2x4 c&c cages measure 150x77cm (2x3 c&c cages measuring approx 120x77cm but this size is only suitable for a pair of sows). It is also the minimum size for a pair of boars. A 2x5 (180x77) or a 180x60cm hutch is recommended for a boar pair. So yes it is fine and its good if they are ok in that size, but with one of them at four months old havjng just hit his teens and with him living with another teen boar who is about to also come up to another large hormone spike (9-10 months of age), then space can really matter. Hopefully yours will continue to be fine. Mine didn’t last long in their 2x4 equivalent size cage as it very quickly became apparent it needed upgrading to larger once those hormones really started!

We always advise to not add sows into a room with bonded pairs due to the risk sow pheromones can pose to a boar bond. Stacking is the way to go if a sow pair is to live in the same room as a boar pair, with the sows always living at the bottom of a stacked cage.

We would also not advise to put a sow in with two boars as this can break a bond and cause fights. They may both have originally come from such a living situation, but with the youngest now just starting his teens, doing so again could spell the end of their relationship (if you do intend on keeping the boars together as a pair).

None of what I’ve wrote is meant to insult or be rude btw so I’m sorry if my tone comes across that way, thank you guys for the help. If anybody here could show me there’s or has any tips on making sure c and c grids don’t collapse when on top of each other/ any way to make it more sturdy and presentable then please let me know :)

Stacked c&c cages require metal support bars (2-3 bars usually would be needed for a stacked 2x4 c&c) from front to back to support the weight of the top cage. Grids should be cable tied together for added security. Once support bars are in place, the cage will be stable

The top hutch is almost the same size as a 2x4 c&c as most 2x4 c&c cages measure 150x77cm (2x3 c&c cages measuring approx 120x77cm but this size is only suitable for a pair of sows). It is also the minimum size for a pair of boars. A 2x5 (180x77) or a 180x60cm hutch is recommended for a boar pair. So yes it is fine and its good if they are ok in that size, but with one of them at four months old havjng just hit his teens and with him living with another teen boar who is about to also come up to another large hormone spike (9-10 months of age), then space can really matter. Hopefully yours will continue to be fine. Mine didn’t last long in their 2x4 equivalent size cage as it very quickly became apparent it needed upgrading to larger once those hormones really started!

We always advise to not add sows into a room with bonded pairs due to the risk sow pheromones can pose to a boar bond. Stacking is the way to go if a sow pair is to live in the same room as a boar pair, with the sows always living at the bottom of a stacked cage.

We would also not advise to put a sow in with two boars as this can break a bond and cause fights. They may both have originally come from such a living situation, but with the youngest now just starting his teens, doing so again could spell the end of their relationship (if you do intend on keeping the boars together as a pair).

Stacked c&c cages require metal support bars (2-3 bars usually would be needed for a stacked 2x4 c&c) from front to back to support the weight of the top cage. Grids should be cable tied together for added security. Once support bars are in place, the cage will be stable
I think they came from a home with girls since there was a lot of piggies but I’ll check with the previous owner just in case too. And yes hopefully the spare room is big enough to fit another cage separate away from my boys, I didn’t know they had hormone spikes near 8-9 months so I’ll keep a close eye out. I’m now looking into building one out of wood or the c and c, I think I’m going to wait until I can measure my new home and then approach it that way so I know how much space I’m working with.

I think they’ll stay in the 2x4 c and c cage (I do have more grids I'm waiting for the extra liner so I can extend it) until all of my main furniture is bought (I’m a teen, this is the first home Ill have and I’m not really sure what I’m doing 😅) then I might get my dad and uncle (contractor and diy worker) to build me a custom one. I’ll update this thread in a month and a bits time to show it :) thanks for the help

If they get on I wouldn’t split them to live with sows. Are you finding your piggies yourself? Good on you. 👌🏾👍🏾

If they get on I wouldn’t split them to live with sows. Are you finding your piggies yourself? Good on you. 👌🏾👍🏾
Yea I am, however I don’t think getting any more is a good idea now as I’ve recently broke out in hives on my wrist after holding Chip (my agouti guinea pig)

Back