Is this hay too ‘straw-like’?

Cambridge Piggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m worried this hay is bad quality . It seemed very coarse in places and my pigs are only eating some of it. Should I buy new stuff? Sorry for all the threads btw!

Attachments

• IMG_0071.webp
    IMG_0071.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 3
Hay varies in quality from supplier to supplier and according to the time of year it’s harvested. There’s always some waste as piggies don’t eat it all. But ideally you would like some green and sweet smelling hay in among the coarser hay. If it’s all coarse and stalky then perhaps you have got a duff bag - it happens. Hay and where to buy it is one of the biggest discussion topics on here.
Here’s a link to the hay guide. I’m still buying my hay from Haybox but their customer service has been rather shoddy. Others are recommending other Hay suppliers in other threads
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Hay varies in quality from supplier to supplier and according to the time of year it’s harvested. There’s always some waste as piggies don’t eat it all. But ideally you would like some green and sweet smelling hay in among the coarser hay. If it’s all coarse and stalky then perhaps you have got a duff bag - it happens. Hay and where to buy it is one of the biggest discussion topics on here.
Here’s a link to the hay guide. I’m still buying my hay from Haybox but their customer service has been rather shoddy. Others are recommending other Hay suppliers in other threads
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)
Yeah I don’t think I like this hay. Will buy some new stuff today! Thanks for your help c

And in addition to the advice you’ve already had; their routine weekly weight checks are the way to know how much hay they are eating.

I used to use haybox but was rather put off by some changes they made without informing customers. I now use Hapy Hay Co orchard hay as well as buying a bale of meadow from a local farm

Back