Is this diet good? Also a question about safe vegetables

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm trying to vary my guinea pigs' diet, but I would like to know if these two vegetables can be fed daily: Escarole leaves and Lollo rosso/Lollo Lettuce.

They are currently eating:

Green bell pepper daily at morning.
Red or yellow bell pepper daily at night.

Chayote/choko (squash edible for humans it is almost like cucumber) everyday.

Lollo Lettuce/rosso and escarole leaves everyday (I searched on internet and it said it was safe, but I would like some confirmation?)

Corn husks (inner part) daily every night.

One tablespoon of high quality pellets once at lunch and once at night daily.

Lately I have been giving celery leaves, coriander leaves, 2-3 times a week.

Once a week a small piece of tomato or carrot.

Fresh huge pile of hay daily (they eat a lot!)

Plenty of fresh water daily.

They don't like cucumber don't matter how many times I try.
I am giving all the vegetables in the correct proportion for two boars.

Is this diet good or do I need to improve?

In the supermarket there are other options such as arugula, radish leaves, spinach, mint, curly lettuce, baby lettuce, bean pods, okra, butter cabbage, alcega/shard leaves, but I saw they are too high in calcium? So I avoided them 🙁

Or should I add some of them once a week?

It sounds like a good diet, but I am rather new to piggy care. I have heard that cabbage can give piggies bloat if fed too much or too often. I think beans might also be potentially hard too digest. Someone with more dietary knowledge should be along soon. It certainly sounds like a delicious variety for people 🥗

It sounds like a good diet, but I am rather new to piggy care. I have heard that cabbage can give piggies bloat if fed too much or too often. I think beans might also be potentially hard too digest. Someone with more dietary knowledge should be along soon. It certainly sounds like a delicious variety for people 🥗
Yes, I read about this, I was feeding butter cabbage 2 times a week but I noticed one of my guinea pigs becoming bloated once I was feeding it, so I immediately stopped.

I'm also in doubt about the zucchini (another squash edible for humans), following the thumb diet it is good, but I would like advices from someone...

Thank you! I hope they find it a delicious variety too haha.

Sounds fine!

As long as you are feeding one cup of veg per pig per day and no more than one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day, then how you choose to do it is up to you.
For example - mine just get hay at breakfast, hay top up midday. They then get more hay and their veg in the evening. I personally choose to not feed pellets every day - they get 5 pellets each only twice a week. When it is a pellet day, I give them in the morning with their breakfast hay.
Mine get lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber and coriander every day.

In the supermarket there are other options such as arugula, radish leaves, spinach, mint, curly lettuce, baby lettuce, bean pods, okra, butter cabbage, alcega/shard leaves, but I saw they are too high in calcium? So I avoided them 🙁

Or should I add some of them once a week?

You can feed high calcium veg in small quantities and once a week.
This is part of the reason why I don’t feed pellets often. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water. Due to the fact my piggies get hardly any pellets at all, it has given me leeway to feed more high calcium items. It’s a decision based on my local area given my water is hard water

Yes, I read about this, I was feeding butter cabbage 2 times a week but I noticed one of my guinea pigs becoming bloated once I was feeding it, so I immediately stopped.

I'm also in doubt about the zucchini (another squash edible for humans), following the thumb diet it is good, but I would like advices from someone...

Thank you! I hope they find it a delicious variety too haha.

Yes they can eat zucchini (known as courgette in the UK) but actually most piggies don’t like it!

Sounds fine!

As long as you are feeding one cup of veg per pig per day and no more than one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day, then how you choose to do it is up to you.
For example - mine just get hay at breakfast, hay top up midday. They then get more hay and their veg in the evening. I personally choose to not feed pellets every day - they get 5 pellets each only twice a week. When it is a pellet day, I give them in the morning with their breakfast hay.
Mine get lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber and coriander every day.

You can feed high calcium veg in small quantities and once a week.
This is part of the reason why I don’t feed pellets often. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water. Due to the fact my piggies get hardly any pellets at all, it has given me leeway to feed more high calcium items. It’s a decision based on my local area given my water is hard water

Yes they can eat zucchini (known as courgette in the UK) but actually most piggies don’t like it!

I know that pellets aren't exactly healthy, I was even thinking about cutting them down a little bit, and with this tip you gave, I think I'll be able to better balance the foods with a little more calcium if I give them less pellets per week. The only problem is that they love pellets, they both go crazy when they hear the noise of the pellets bag.

This is great to know about the coriander, I was a little apprehensive about giving it 3 times, so I'll vary it even more! I'll try the zucchini and see how they react.

Thank you so much!

Back