Is This Cage Suitable, From A Former Pet Which Was Not A Guinea Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking for a hamster since I have a cage which has not been used for a year till I stumbled upon guinea pigs which instantly caught my attention, they look fun and friendly, but I really don`t want to buy a new cage (or make one), is the one in the link suitable?

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!
Size:84 x 48.5 x 44 cm (L x W x H)

Of course I will let the guinea pig out frequently but is this suitable for the guinea pig to stay in for days I may not be at home or for 20+ hours?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Guinea pigs grow to be a lot bigger than hamsters and that cage is very small. The dimensions are 84 x 48.5, where a guinea pig would need 75 x 90cm at the very least. Also guinea pigs like to live in at least pairs and should not live alone if possible. So for two guinea pigs you would need an even bigger cage and most cages sold in pet shops are far too small. Glad you asked before getting the guinea pig though :)

You can often find larger cages/hutches for less second hand on gumtree or eBay etc. Just give it a good clean and disinfect before use. A lot of people like C&C grids (I'd love to have C&C!) or make their own enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back