Is this cage big enough for 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiep

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tigerhouse2.jpg

The petshop had this cage advertised as being for 3 piggies. We were hoping to put our rescue piggie in here with Tiger so that they would be company for each other, but the lady at the rescue says it is too small for 2... is it a bit cramped for 2 piggies? Tiger always has lots of floor time in the evenings...

i dont think it is, not if you wanted a toy in. it looks a bit cramped, and piggies like their space.try and get a really big one.

Hmm, think you're prob right ... the OH got this cage for me (well not for me but for the piggie! ha ha!), it was the biggest in the shop. Don't know what to do now...

I got this cage when I first got my pigs and I had a pair in it but they very quickly outgrew it, I built my own cage for them with a lot more space. I wouldn't want to keep 2 full grown pigs in there. P@home do the next size up which I think would be fine for 2 pigs. They have them in stock now in most stores I think.

yer... i have to agree that it would be too small for 2. I have a C+C cage and i think theyre great! and easy to clean too! :)

Could you extend it rather than buying a new one? Perhaps you could use some grids to add a run on to it so they had extra space but it would be cheaper than you buying a brand new cage? Just a thought.

or build your own and then keep that one for if you have to travel? I got the same one to start with but my two boys outgrew it. They live in a bigger indoor hutch now but if i go away anywhere and they go to friends houses etc then they are fine in it for a few days.

also have a single pig in one of them

sarah x

no i dont think it is big enough as theres not much room to run around and if there wotn some alone time where fro mthe other piggy it wont get mush my lilly would hate beening in there on her own never mind with molly she likes lots of space to run

Thanks guys, will sort something out. Don't want Tiger to be cramped.

I don't know what is happening re the piggie we want to adopt... we haven't heard anything for ages... :(

I started out with this type of cage, maybe smaller but with toys and bowls it doesnt leave much room for them to excercise. It is ok in my opinion, especially if they get a lot of floortime... but if you have space for bigger you should go for it at it really is great watching them pop and lap and that way they can excercise even when you are out. The C&C cages I have now are fab for this. Plenty of space and very flexible. Extra space si especially important in the case of boars to give them the best chance of staying friends.

Have a look at this website. www.guineapigcages.com They're based in USA but if you look you can find the materials here. I just finished mine, heres the thread, I posted some pics. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5557.0
The coroplast you can get from a local sign shop or ebay or I think theres a link for a supplier in the stickies at the top of the housing board. The grids I found online at screwfix direct
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=IVR1GDY5VS41CCSTHZOSFFI?id=43900&ts=41269
Some B&Q stores carry them as well but you have to be lucky to find them. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back