Is this bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boureki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After the loss of Scampy last week, we found a new baby boy for Blaze today. We were expecting the constant rumbling, chasing and mounting, but worryingly I think Blaze is not letting the baby get to any food, poor little thing is hidden away in a hide. I know we have had him for a case of literally just a few hours, but the food thing really worried me - is this bullying at this stage, or is it normal? (We let Blaze choose from 3 baby boys in the rescue he didn't teeth chatter once.)

Thanks
Julie

Hi Julie, give it time, your baby could also be hiding because everythings new. Also things change when they are put in a new environment. At the rescue Baby was on home turf (as far as Blaze was concerned), but Blaze knows he's home now so things will change a bit. As long as there's no teeth rattling or chasing then I wouldn't be worried :)

So do you not think that Blaze preventing the baby from getting to the food bowl is a problem? There's been no teeth chattering but Blaze has been chasing the baby around a bit, mainly because he's trying to mount him, which the lady at the rescue said would be normal anyway to begin with. I know it's really early days but the food thing is really bothering me, he never stopped Scampy from getting to his food.

:) Yes that is a problem, you could try putting another bowl in but Blaze might simply stop him using that one too. Perhaps take Blaze out for a while so baby can eat- don't take baby out and leave Blaze in there on his own though, either just Blaze, or both of them (I would leave the baby for a while though). Tuck some food in the house for him tonight so he has something to eat. Just give it time :)
I don't pair babies very often so am not much help. I put a baby with a boar for a while a few wheeks ago but after about 3 wheeks together the teeth chattering started and rumbling so I got them castrated while they were still living together and when the 2 wheeks was up (and they weren't quite hurting one another ::) ) I seperated them and they went with sows.

Thanks for the advice Karen :) I'm so nervous about this, we just want them to be happy. We have two bowls in there and two water bottles so hopefully they will learn to figure it out - we took Blaze out for about 10 mins and baby has just tucked in whilst he was out, but I am concerned. I have to go to work for the next three days as well, so I won't be able to monitor them as closely as I would like!

Jeez, I reckon kids would be less of a worry than these guys!

Kids are just a different sort of worry ;D I have 4 males living together here ::)

As they are both boars and 1ns new there trying to find out whos boss.

:smitten: :smitten:Soz for you loss and Congrats on your new piglet :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back