Is this boar bonding going okay?

4boipigs

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I picked up a boy from an animal shelter. My existing boy is 6 months, new guy is 2 yrs old. He is 'replacing' my boar who was pts yesterday. I had them interact with each other at the shelter, but I think they were so scared at the shelter that I couldn't see how they really felt. They were both very quiet, not very much rumbling, and no humping. I decided to adopt (can return if doesn't work out). They are happy to eat together. They chase, they rumble. They make washing motions. The new guy yawns to show his teeth often, but half the time he also wanted to settle and sleep. But there have been a lot of stand offs and lunges, but no actual fighting or blood drawn. After their bickering, rumbling, and almost-fights, they go back to eating and keeping their distance. It's been an hour or so. They are both sleeping now on either side of the neutral cage. Mainly it's the lunging that bothers me because my baby is the one who does it and seems very displeased. His old brother was very submissive. Should I let them be?

It is my first time doing this, technically. Last time was bonding my 6 month old who was a baby, to his brother. They hit it off instantly, w/o aggression.

I picked up a boy from an animal shelter. My existing boy is 6 months, new guy is 2 yrs old. He is 'replacing' my boar who was pts yesterday. I had them interact with each other at the shelter, but I think they were so scared at the shelter that I couldn't see how they really felt. They were both very quiet, not very much rumbling, and no humping. I decided to adopt (can return if doesn't work out). They are happy to eat together. They chase, they rumble. They make washing motions. The new guy yawns to show his teeth often, but half the time he also wanted to settle and sleep. But there have been a lot of stand offs and lunges, but no actual fighting or blood drawn. After their bickering, rumbling, and almost-fights, they go back to eating and keeping their distance. It's been an hour or so. They are both sleeping now on either side of the neutral cage. Mainly it's the lunging that bothers me because my baby is the one who does it and seems very displeased. His old brother was very submissive. Should I let them be?

It is my first time doing this, technically. Last time was bonding my 6 month old who was a baby, to his brother. They hit it off instantly, w/o aggression.

Hi

Please give them more time.

There is a bit of wariness and fear-aggression in play but also willingness to be friends (the piggy washes, especially if it happens between dominance rounds - that means that the washing piggy is reassuring the other side that they still want to be with them when the chips are down). Bonding happens in rounds of working out who is boss. If they are happy to be together in between, then the bonding is still on track. Neither boy is willing to cross the line into fighting obviously.

It is not easy to sit by and let them work through it but give them plenty of time on the neutral ground (if needed overnight) to really allow them to work through the rough bit in their own time. It will make the settling into the cage much more peaceful and relaxed compared to when they have to still do quite a lot of essential homework after they moved into the cage and can only then work on the fine print over the coming two weeks. There is a tendency to think that acceptance is all that is needed but the actual bonding very likely get there. :tu:

I left them together overnight. The new guy wants to be dominant. My baby is not really liking it. Still a lot of chasing, noise, and they did get into a tussle this morning after I woke up. I don't see any wounds. My baby is a bit shy about coming out, but he'll walk around, drink, eat. New guy will investigate but not cause trouble if my boy is in a hide. Should I let them play this out? I'm still uncertain about it.

I left them together overnight. The new guy wants to be dominant. My baby is not really liking it. Still a lot of chasing, noise, and they did get into a tussle this morning after I woke up. I don't see any wounds. My baby is a bit shy about coming out, but he'll walk around, drink, eat. New guy will investigate but not cause trouble if my boy is in a hide. Should I let them play this out? I'm still uncertain about it.
Let them play this out another and see whether things are settling down; this should be roughest part of dominance. There is no real aggression in it.

Keep in mind that your boy is currently right at the most difficult bonding age when hormone output is at a life time high. If your two boys make it at the worst time possible, then their bond should hold in much less stressful times.

If they cannot come to an agreement over who is coming top and tussles continue or the dynamics start to really sour by tomorrow (when they should be starting to come out the very worst of the dominance), then the bond failed; although only narrowly and you may rather be looking at a baby who cannot challenge your teenage boy. Look at a more submissive/laid-back one if that is possible,

Let them play this out another and see whether things are settling down; this should be roughest part of dominance. There is no real aggression in it.

Keep in mind that your boy is currently right at the most difficult bonding age when hormone output is at a life time high. If your two boys make it at the worst time possible, then their bond should hold in much less stressful times.

If they cannot come to an agreement over who is coming top and tussles continue or the dynamics start to really sour by tomorrow (when they should be starting to come out the very worst of the dominance), then the bond failed; although only narrowly and you may rather be looking at a baby who cannot challenge your teenage boy. Look at a more submissive/laid-back one if that is possible,

Here is my dilemma if the bond fails. The shelter I got him from did not have ANY hay in the guinea pig cages. This made me very uncomfortable. I have never had to surrender/return a pet and I just don't think I can return him to that situation. I have considered living side by side, but have never done that before either. Would living side by side be an option for them?

I am also chatting w/ the local rescue about bonding (I messaged everyone I could find who had available pigs), however I don't know if they're able to accept an owner surrender.

Here is my dilemma if the bond fails. The shelter I got him from did not have ANY hay in the guinea pig cages. This made me very uncomfortable. I have never had to surrender/return a pet and I just don't think I can return him to that situation. I have considered living side by side, but have never done that before either. Would living side by side be an option for them?

I am also chatting w/ the local rescue about bonding (I messaged everyone I could find who had available pigs), however I don't know if they're able to accept an owner surrender.

Hi

Poor pigs! Hay and fresh growing grass should make at least three quarters of what a healthy guinea pig eats in a day. :(

But yes, living alongside with a divider in the cage is an option.

Aw greats news and well done you for holding your nerve. Perhaps you could talk to the shelter about the hay issue, once you know your pair are fully settled x

That’s great to hear - it’s a scary time for a piggy owner but with great advice from Wiekbe and the forum guides you kept going. Well done !
The result is two boars starting their settled lives together ….I’m sure fun times ahead for all.
We’d love to see some pigtures….. and what are your boys named ?

They just had a decent fight. My baby Maple Leaf is being aggressive today and wouldn't leave new guy alone when I put down 2 bowls of pellets. Eventually they got into a tussle and Maple Leaf pulled out a chunk of new guy's fur. I don't see any wounds on them. Should I separate them for good or leave them? They will have to do with living side by side if so.

They just had a decent fight. My baby Maple Leaf is being aggressive today and wouldn't leave new guy alone when I put down 2 bowls of pellets. Eventually they got into a tussle and Maple Leaf pulled out a chunk of new guy's fur. I don't see any wounds on them. Should I separate them for good or leave them? They will have to do with living side by side if so.

I would do a trial separation to see how they are when separated; especially the new guy.
Please follow the advice in this guide here: Bonds In Trouble

They had a fight this mornimg again and Maple Leaf has been bit. Looks like an abrasion and wasn't bloody. I split the cage and they seem to do fine side by side. I feel bad about it but it is for the best. I have a c&c extension coming in the mail from a US site so they will have more space. Can I try to rebond once puberty is over?

They had a fight this mornimg again and Maple Leaf has been bit. Looks like an abrasion and wasn't bloody. I split the cage and they seem to do fine side by side. I feel bad about it but it is for the best. I have a c&c extension coming in the mail from a US site so they will have more space. Can I try to rebond once puberty is over?

Hi

Sadly, the chances of them going back together are very, very slim. Once it has got as far as bites, the aggravation is just to great.
They can however still be best of friends and bonded through the bars with each having their own territory. We have quite a few fallen-out boars grieving really badly when their bonded mate through the bars passes away - which shows you that a separation is by now means the end of the road but only a new chapter in their relationship. ;)

Hi

Sadly, the chances of them going back together are very, very slim. Once it has got as far as bites, the aggravation is just to great.
They can however still be best of friends and bonded through the bars with each having their own territory. We have quite a few fallen-out boars grieving really badly when their bonded mate through the bars passes away - which shows you that a separation is by now means the end of the road but only a new chapter in their relationship. ;)

They seem to be doing just fine. They've been seperated all day. New guy is doing well and acting friendly towards me. Maple Leaf seems just fine as well, and isn't acting withdrawn as if he's lost a buddy. I guess it isn't so bad for now.

They are doing great together. Their cage extension came in so now they have 2x3 grids per pig. They are both happy, running around, popcorning and arguing thru the bars. I really wish they could be together but they seem to be happy like this.

Back