Is this an ok cage?

Wren

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok - I thought I was being a good pet mom, but after reading some things here I see that I do not have the right space for my girls, the right food...and so many other things.

I am not crafty, and sadly I don't have friends that are so building a cage is really out of the question. I need to find something already done that is idiot proof. I found this cage -
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/midwest-guinea-habitat-plus-guinea-pig-cage

This that ok for 2 female piggies? It's bigger than what they have now. The cage I wanted I see does not ship to Alaska (like a lot of things I want). Is this a decent cage for them or should I keep looking?

I've used Midwest cages before, they're pretty good. One is just about big enough for two sows, although you can get a few and connect them together (which I did for Comet and Blitzen a few years back). They're easy to set up too, and I found them far less faffy than something like a Ferplast.

You are being a good pig mum by the fact you recognise there are things that you can change for them. We are here on the forum to offer support and help those who want to learn and improve things, so you are well on the right track to being a great piggy carer!

Yes a Midwest meets the smallest size two female piggies can live in so it is ok for them. Minimum sizing being 120x60cm of 48 by 24 inches.
If you have the option to go a little bigger then it is best to do so though - the recommended cage size for two sows is 150x60cm or 60 inches by 24 inches.

I went ahead and ordered this one for now. It will be better than what they currently have. This, combined with the time they get in their play pen I hope will be good enough for now.

My apartment is small and I’m not sure how I will fit a larger cage and keep it away from the dog.

But we are getting better! 😃

I went ahead and ordered this one for now. It will be better than what they currently have. This, combined with the time they get in their play pen I hope will be good enough for now.

My apartment is small and I’m not sure how I will fit a larger cage and keep it away from the dog.

You can do it as an L shape, or an 8x2 line, rather than as a 4x4 block. I used all three depending on where the cage was.

It is an absolutely fine cage for them - it meets size requirements.

You are being an excellent pig mum by just recognising that you could be giving your piggies a little more. That cage meets the minimum requirements for two sows so is absolutelyfine 🙂

Hi you know how you said your not crafty I ain't either but what I did I got some cc grids from amazon and cable ties and I manged to make 2x6 and a 2x4 cc grid pens it be so much cheaper and gives your piggies enough room

I have a similar cage for my 4 I connected 2 together x

Attachments

• 20221117_124118.webp
    20221117_124118.webp
    141.2 KB · Views: 39
Their cage finally came in! Got it together today and I think they like it. It’s find hard to tell right now.

It’s a temporary spot right now but it’s the best I can do until I get something better to put the cage on.

Attachments

• DF6ED2DF-1E34-4F74-9892-D65ECF9C0D5F.webp
    DF6ED2DF-1E34-4F74-9892-D65ECF9C0D5F.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
I hope they enjoy it!
I would just suggest, if you haven’t done so already, is to put large loose piles of hay on the cage floor.
The hay holder you have in there is far too small for two piggies and too restricting for them to feed freely.

I did that for tonight and am going tomorrow to get another water bottle and hay holder so they have two.

This cage might be different but in their old cage they would never eat hay off the floor.

I did that for tonight and am going tomorrow to get another water bottle and hay holder so they have two.

This cage might be different but in their old cage they would never eat hay off the floor.
If it is good hay then they should eat it, play in it, and sleep in it.
The hay holders are far too small, and having 2 won't make any difference.
A second bottle is a good idea, but I wouldn't waste your money on the hay holder.
I am sure if you put a few piles of hay around the cage they will definitely eat it - it also offers fabulous enrichment and you will get to see a lot of lovely guinea pig behaviours.

:agr:

I wouldn’t bother with getting a second one of those holders either - it’s just too small.

If you prefer hay to be a bit more contained, then you could put it in trays or stuff it inside hides or cardboard boxes. Trays can be piled up with a lot of hay (huge handfuls) but they can still get right in amongst it for enrichment.
Or, as your cage looks to be in two halves, I would actually fill one half of it with hay so they can forage, play in, make nests in, sleep in etc.
All my animals enclosures are fully filled with hay for that exact reason. Wet hay areas are removed daily and fresh hay piles thrown in a twice (if not three times) a day. They all, and particularly my youngest pair of piggies, spend so much time busy with their hay. Half the time I only know where my youngest two piggies are by watching the hay piles move!

I use a hay holder and have 4 piggys. I'd say if you prefer hay to be in a holder then get one.

I prefer holder's as there is less mess and when I had a tray they just sat in it and weed which then smelt.

Back