Is This A Good Way To Train Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dibbler and Ganon are my first guineas and I'm coming off of years only knowing how to train dogs so I'd appreciate advice on trainig pigs.

They're ok with my hand in the cage and they love climbing all over my hands and arms and even coming up to my face to nibble my nose. But they're still skittish about me petting them directly.

They LOVE green peppers so I started holding a piece in my hand, petting them gently and then immediately giving them the pepper. I'm trying to make them associate physical touch with treats. Do you think this is an effective way to desensitize them to being touched?

For reference they're about five months old and I've had then for three months.

Thanks!

Dibbler and Ganon are my first guineas and I'm coming off of years only knowing how to train dogs so I'd appreciate advice on trainig pigs.

They're ok with my hand in the cage and they love climbing all over my hands and arms and even coming up to my face to nibble my nose. But they're still skittish about me petting them directly.

They LOVE green peppers so I started holding a piece in my hand, petting them gently and then immediately giving them the pepper. I'm trying to make them associate physical touch with treats. Do you think this is an effective way to desensitize them to being touched?

For reference they're about five months old and I've had then for three months.

Thanks!

Hi! You may find our piggy whispering thread helpful in making friends with them in terms that they can understand instinctively. food is generally a good way to start and win their trust.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back