Is This A Good Setup?/run Questions.

SabreRose

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm getting a pair of Guinea pigs in the near future and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my setup idea for them. They'll be living in a shed and my plan is to buy them a double hutch and connect it to a run for them.

My plan is to buy this hutch
And connect it to this run

Does this seem like a pig friendly set up?
Or any tips on what I could improve or change?

I have also thought of using c and c grids instead of the run and make a 3x4 c and c run. Would it be ok to leave them unsupervised in this c and c run idea?

Thanks for the help.

Hi
My guinea pigs used to live in a set up like this and it was ok. One thing I didn't like about it is I found it difficult to clean/spot clean the hutch

Hi
My guinea pigs used to live in a set up like this and it was ok. One thing I didn't like about it is I found it difficult to clean/spot clean the hutch
Yeah I am a bit worried about access to the bottom hutch for spot cleaning.

Could you get a longer single storey hutch?

Possibly as some piggies don't like ramps.... 154 would be a good length for two piggies

My hutches are built into the shed, they have access to the garden where they have supervised playtime/interaction with the rabbits. There are pictures of my set up in the housing forum. ;)

Here's a picture of my first shed pen last winter. The hutch is 6ft long, and just under 2ft deep. I used a ramp tunnel to ensure that everyone was happy getting up and downstairs.

IMG_0942.webp

I did have a shuffle round later in the winter to improve the shed layout a bit as we found we couldn't get the ladder out of the shed. This meant I could enlarge the run a bit more. I also ended up using audibose for the run floor (contained by a large ground sheet pegged to the run) as it stayed dry for longer than the fleece, didn't need washing and was easier to spot clean.

I kept an old pair of daps in the shed at all times so that I could change into them in the shed and minimise the amount of wet/damp I brough in on shoes that had been along our back path.

As I kept the run attached all winter I found it easy enough to climb over and spot clean and feed etc. I wouldn't have a run with a permanently fixed lid/cover as that would make all the jobs really hard.

I let the pigs out into their run every morning at breakfast time, and I shut them back into the hutch every night. Our shed is secure so I don't think anything other than mice or insects can get it, but I felt more comfortable shutting them in at night. It also meant I could add all their insulation/covers when it was cold.

My pigs have to live outside due to my OHs allergies. This is first year we've had access to a shed after moving house in August 2016 and it's been wonderful for everyone. I stay dry, the pigs stay dry and I've been able to expand the group to four and give them enough room to have fun.

For the summer months I've moved the hutch out into an aviary run in the garden. This has also been hugly successful, and I don't worry about the shed getting too warm on showery days when the pigs can't go out into their propper lawn run. I really ought to take some pictures. It's worked very well for us this summer.

Here's a picture of my first shed pen last winter. The hutch is 6ft long, and just under 2ft deep. I used a ramp tunnel to ensure that everyone was happy getting up and downstairs.

View attachment 69228

I did have a shuffle round later in the winter to improve the shed layout a bit as we found we couldn't get the ladder out of the shed. This meant I could enlarge the run a bit more. I also ended up using audibose for the run floor (contained by a large ground sheet pegged to the run) as it stayed dry for longer than the fleece, didn't need washing and was easier to spot clean.

I kept an old pair of daps in the shed at all times so that I could change into them in the shed and minimise the amount of wet/damp I brough in on shoes that had been along our back path.

As I kept the run attached all winter I found it easy enough to climb over and spot clean and feed etc. I wouldn't have a run with a permanently fixed lid/cover as that would make all the jobs really hard.

I let the pigs out into their run every morning at breakfast time, and I shut them back into the hutch every night. Our shed is secure so I don't think anything other than mice or insects can get it, but I felt more comfortable shutting them in at night. It also meant I could add all their insulation/covers when it was cold.

My pigs have to live outside due to my OHs allergies. This is first year we've had access to a shed after moving house in August 2016 and it's been wonderful for everyone. I stay dry, the pigs stay dry and I've been able to expand the group to four and give them enough room to have fun.

For the summer months I've moved the hutch out into an aviary run in the garden. This has also been hugly successful, and I don't worry about the shed getting too warm on showery days when the pigs can't go out into their propper lawn run. I really ought to take some pictures. It's worked very well for us this summer.
That set up looks great.
Can I ask where you got the metal bars for the run? And are they easy enough to connect/take apart?

The run came from:-

Its a run I'd never use outside, but was fine in the shed. Obviously I ignored the octagon shape, and just used it to make the run I needed. I used good old bailer twine to lash the two ends to the hutch so there was no way my escape artist Lilith could nose her way out!

I used a waterproof oilcloth as a base layer under the edge of the hutch and run itself. Once the run was secure I then pegged the oilcloth to the outside of the metal run to keep the audiboise bedding contained so it didn't spread round the whole shed.

I have made a video about what is a good guinea pig cage
Also I have made a guinea pig shed tour

Back