Is There A Correct Time To Weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie80

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a correct time to weigh the piggies. I weigh the piggies once a week just before their evening veg but is it better before food or a couple of hours after?

I think it is the same rule of newborns (children): weigh always at the same time and with the same scale. I weigh my piggies in the late morning and they eat a lot during the night. There is sometimes a fluctuation of 20-30grams, but it does not matter...

Doing it at the same time of day is important because of the fluctuations, so wheneve is best for you.

I tend to do it about 9pm, as I'm always at home and they will have had their dinner a few hours before.

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a correct time to weigh the piggies. I weigh the piggies once a week just before their evening veg but is it better before food or a couple of hours after?

Ideally you weigh either before or just after a meal to minimise the full/empty bladder and bowel variation that can cause a swing of weight of 30-40g over the course of a day. Like you, I prefer to weigh before dinner in the evening or first thing in the morning.

I weigh at roughly 10am every Thursday, because that's when I clean their cages out. No real other reason, it's just a good reminder for me - weigh then sofa time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back