• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is something wrong?

Oinkpiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i was watching my piggies during floortime and happened to record this. I gave him a Timothy treat that i thought he might’ve choked on, he was like rubbing his face but then seemed fine. Maybe it has something to do with that? Or maybe it was him about to sneeze. I hope it wasn’t a sneeze because he was on antibiotics for 2 weeks for a possible uri.

If you meant to upload a video they don’t actually upload on here, I used youtube before and linked it that way! Are you sure he wasn’t just cleaning himself? My piggies clean their faces with their hands at times. My piggies do occasionally sneeze too without any underlying cause, when they burrow their heads into big piles of hay they usually sneeze from the dust

If his mood is fine and he’s eating and drinking okay I would REALLY doubt he choked on anything ☺️

Here is the link for the video! I couldn’t get it uploaded on here.

If you meant to upload a video they don’t actually upload on here, I used youtube before and linked it that way! Are you sure he wasn’t just cleaning himself? My piggies clean their faces with their hands at times. My piggies do occasionally sneeze too without any underlying cause, when they burrow their heads into big piles of hay they usually sneeze from the dust

If his mood is fine and he’s eating and drinking okay I would REALLY doubt he choked on anything ☺️
YouTube omg thanks so much i was trying to figure it out. Here is a video February 20, 2023

YouTube omg thanks so much i was trying to figure it out. Here is a video February 20, 2023
Is he acting normally since? I’ve definitely seen my pigs lunge a bit like that if they’ve eaten a bit too quickly but not to that extent to be honest. If he’s okay since I would still personally think it’s nothing to worry about, but someone with better knowledge on health here than me will be able to give you some better insight! I would just think if he had an obstruction it would impact his behaviour and his food intake afterwards but I could be totally wrong.

Completely off topic but your other ginger piggy is a mirror image of my boy Bobby who passed away in January! You have two gorgeous little piggies 🥰

Is he acting normally since? I’ve definitely seen my pigs lunge a bit like that if they’ve eaten a bit too quickly but not to that extent to be honest. If he’s okay since I would still personally think it’s nothing to worry about, but someone with better knowledge on health here than me will be able to give you some better insight! I would just think if he had an obstruction it would impact his behaviour and his food intake afterwards but I could be totally wrong.

Completely off topic but your other ginger piggy is a mirror image of my boy Bobby who passed away in January! You have two gorgeous little piggies 🥰

I did give them their salad so maybe they did eat too quickly. I’m constantly worrying about little things because I’m so paranoid about them being a new pig parent lol. And i don’t wanna go to the vet just to ask questions because a normal visit is like $200 for both piggies if I’m lucky. Thanks for being so nice ♡ Wow I’m sorry to hear about your boy Bobby :( that has to be so hard to go through. Ive never really experienced a pet passing before but it’s one of my biggest fears. I’ve always loved all animals but Guinea pigs are just so cool with their huge personalities they are like little dogs lol. The wheeking is my favorite sound EVER. I got them both from different petco’s (unfortunately) so it’s been hard to have them together without wanting to fight, but after building a big c&c cage they seem to be able to break it up quickly. I couldn’t believe they were getting along and nuzzling each other 🫣 they have been fighting since we got them 5 months ago and i never thought I’d see them get along but maybe because they’re now adults they can work it out like adults lmaoo

I did give them their salad so maybe they did eat too quickly. I’m constantly worrying about little things because I’m so paranoid about them being a new pig parent lol. And i don’t wanna go to the vet just to ask questions because a normal visit is like $200 for both piggies if I’m lucky. Thanks for being so nice ♡ Wow I’m sorry to hear about your boy Bobby :( that has to be so hard to go through. Ive never really experienced a pet passing before but it’s one of my biggest fears. I’ve always loved all animals but Guinea pigs are just so cool with their huge personalities they are like little dogs lol. The wheeking is my favorite sound EVER. I got them both from different petco’s (unfortunately) so it’s been hard to have them together without wanting to fight, but after building a big c&c cage they seem to be able to break it up quickly. I couldn’t believe they were getting along and nuzzling each other 🫣 they have been fighting since we got them 5 months ago and i never thought I’d see them get along but maybe because they’re now adults they can work it out like adults lmaoo
I’ve had piggies since 2016 and still panic about them all the time and treat them like they’re made of glass so I understand completely! Must be especially stressful when you’re such a new owner, it can take a long time to learn what’s normal and not. This forum has some really helpful info if you haven’t combed through it yet, I’ve found myself looking for threads even though I’m a pig parent for 7 years I still always find new things to learn. You’re so right about them and their huge personalities, 2 weeks after Bobby passed my nearly 7 year old boy Kip was put to sleep and I’m constantly remembering things about them both and smiling, they’re such wonderful little pets ☺️

Bonding boys can be tricky! I’m so glad to hear they’re getting along now. I’ve only ever had boys but I’ve been told girls are a breeze in comparison when it comes to bonding. Someone else with more experience should be here soon to offer you some better advice on your video than I can, I can imagine you’re worried! I’ll keep an eye on this post and a tag some people I usually see on health/illness posts if nobody responds ☺️

I agree it looks like he ate something too fast and choked on it. I've seen mine do this occasionally, it is a frightening thing to witness the poor things look so distressed when it's happening. They stop quickly though and then just carry on eating as if nothing happened! I would see a vet if he does it a lot just to be sure there's no underlying cause. I believe this is called heaving hiccups?

I agree it looks like he ate something too fast and choked on it. I've seen mine do this occasionally, it is a frightening thing to witness the poor things look so distressed when it's happening. They stop quickly though and then just carry on eating as if nothing happened! I would see a vet if he does it a lot just to be sure there's no underlying cause. I believe this is called heaving hiccups?

I gave him these Timothy circle shaped treats that look like cheerios, i think they were too small. Heaving hiccups wow i definitely will look into that thank u so much. I’m so glad he’s okay tho it was night time and no vets open nearby.

Has this stopped now?
I’ve had piggies since 2016 and still panic about them all the time and treat them like they’re made of glass so I understand completely! Must be especially stressful when you’re such a new owner, it can take a long time to learn what’s normal and not. This forum has some really helpful info if you haven’t combed through it yet, I’ve found myself looking for threads even though I’m a pig parent for 7 years I still always find new things to learn. You’re so right about them and their huge personalities, 2 weeks after Bobby passed my nearly 7 year old boy Kip was put to sleep and I’m constantly remembering things about them both and smiling, they’re such wonderful little pets ☺️

Bonding boys can be tricky! I’m so glad to hear they’re getting along now. I’ve only ever had boys but I’ve been told girls are a breeze in comparison when it comes to bonding. Someone else with more experience should be here soon to offer you some better advice on your video than I can, I can imagine you’re worried! I’ll keep an eye on this post and a tag some people I usually see on health/illness posts if nobody responds ☺️

Not necessarily! Sows can be quite tricky to bond - they can become set in their ways and not accepting of new company as they age. Whereas boars tend to mellow and just want affection!

Here is the link for the video! I couldn’t get it uploaded on here.
Hi

'Heaving hiccups' can really frighten you, can't they? Thankfully, they are usually just a one-off and pass pretty quickly with your piggy none the worse.

Please see a vet if the hiccups don't stop, which is extremely rare.

Man you have gone through some losses in such a short period of time. I’m really sorry that happened to you. I think the outlook you have on it though is really good to have mentally. It’s amazing you’re able to see that in such a positive light. I don’t think i could do that tbh. Yes everytime i wonder about something i search the forum first and usually find the answer :) thank you I’m not super worried rn because i know he’s doing alright at the moment it just was weird to see him do that. My dog kinda does something like that when she’s about to puke so i thought that’s what it was but nope lol. Any insight you have is super helpful, I’m grateful for anyone just responding ♡

Both my Finn and Bear do this but to a lesser extent, maybe a couple of hiccups at the most. Then they are fine afterwards.
When I first brought home my Finn 6 years ago, Finn did this. Now he is an old man at 6 years of age. I hope he lives to be 10.

Both my Finn and Bear do this but to a lesser extent, maybe a couple of hiccups at the most. Then they are fine afterwards.
When I first brought home my Finn 6 years ago, Finn did this. Now he is an old man at 6 years of age. I hope he lives to be 10.

Aw the piggy in the video is named Bear also :) i hope your Finn lives to be 10 too ♡ i wish animals were immortal

Back