• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is Pro-Kolin okay for my piggies?

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My vet administered Pro-Kolin to revive his gut function, but it says that it's for dogs and cats? I don't want to give anything harmful to my guinea pig. Our ex-vet prescribed wrong antibiotics which killed my first piggie. Any idea if Pro-Kolin is okay for my guinea pig?

I’ve just looked this up.
It’s a probiotic for cats and dogs. My feeling would be that it won’t help your piggy if it isn’t meant for fibrevores gut bacteria.
It seems it has a meat flavouring - that alone means it isn’t the right thing for a guinea pig. Do you have the packaging to check what it says?

What is wrong with your piggy?
Are you weighing him daily?
Is he being syringe fed a recovery feed?
If your piggy needs gut motility medications then he needs something like cisapride or emeprid.
A probiotic just helps to restore gut bacteria, it isn’t a medication as such .

He's alright, isn't sick. But he's eating a little less. He's currently 800g, and the doctor prescribed this to improve his gut health. Otherwise he's healthy. The packaging has dextrose, which is why I didn't want to give it to him. I think Protein's Fibreplex or Pro-fibre will be a better fit.

He's alright, isn't sick. But he's eating a little less. He's currently 800g, and the doctor prescribed this to improve his gut health. Otherwise he's healthy. The packaging has dextrose, which is why I didn't want to give it to him. I think Protein's Fibreplex or Pro-fibre will be a better fit.

If he is 800g today then you need to weigh him again tomorrow. If his weight has dropped beyond normal fluctuation, then he needs to be syringe fed. A piggy who is eating less needs to be helped - they simply cannot afford to eat less.

Fibreplex is the right thing - not all piggies like the taste though

He has always been around 800-850 g. He's active, but lately he's been a little down. So to revive his appetite, I guess Fibreplex is the right thing. He eats well enough, he doesn't need to be syringe-fed. I'll get Fibreplex as soon as possible.

He has always been around 800-850 g. He's active, but lately he's been a little down. So to revive his appetite, I guess Fibreplex is the right thing. He eats well enough, he doesn't need to be syringe-fed. I'll get Fibreplex as soon as possible.

Do keep an eye on it. Hay intake cannot be judged by eye so it is very important to weigh him for now, particularly as you’ve noticed he is eating less

Yes, I'm weighing him daily. Do you have any suggestions for probiotics?

Back