Is pinewood safe?

Chip_Milo_Gus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I know that pine wood shavings can be harmful with odors and dust, but are pinewood chew toys safe for guinea pigs?

No, sorry. Pinewood is not safe for guinea pigs to chew. Instead try chew toys that are made of safe woods like Oak, Maple, Elder and Willow.

Kiln dried pine is fine. Some people prefer to avoid it and it can cause sensitivities in some but others use it perfectly safely.
I'm not sure oak is safe - some places say it is toxic others say it is ok - might be one of the ones to ‘if in doubt, leave it out’.
Apple branches and willow branches are definitely perfectly safe for piggies to chew on.

Last edited:
Thanks! Also, is China fir any different from regular fir? And in that case, is it safe for guinea pigs to chew on?

Thanks! Also, is China fir any different from regular fir? And in that case, is it safe for guinea pigs to chew on?

I don’t know but you don’t need to buy wooden things for them to chew on. The best thing for them to chew is hay.
However for enrichment, something like a carrot cottage or hay cube are usually enjoyed by piggies and are perfectly safe

Back