Is Pillow Wad hay alright quality-wise?

Minnou

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought the girls some Pillow Wad hay with the sole intention of giving them it to play in when they're having floor time; filling boxes and tubes etc for them to run through and hide in. I.E. I bought them it so they could waste it because it's quite cheap compared to their feed hay.

But they seem to prefer eating that over their feed hay. :roll:

Is it high enough quality to feed them all the time since they seem to prefer it over eveything else?

The goblins are fans of their timothy, but their timothy is (surprise surprise) very stalky every bag I buy.

Can't comment on their meadow though.

The goblins are fans of their timothy, but their timothy is (surprise surprise) very stalky every bag I buy.

Can't comment on their meadow though.
Mine will only eat Meadow.

They hate Timothy hay. I bought some and they refused to eat it, wouldn't sleep in it, wouldn't play in it, heck, they wouldn't even pee on it. That's some level of disgust right there. :xd:

Mine will only eat Meadow.

They hate Timothy hay. I bought some and they refused to eat it, wouldn't sleep in it, wouldn't play in it, heck, they wouldn't even pee on it. That's some level of disgust right there. :xd:

The goblins are the same with meadow hay, it's like they refuse to acknowledge its existence. Soft hay is apparently an affront to their bellies.

Is it high enough quality to feed them all the time since they seem to prefer it over eveything else?
Hay is hay. Mine have meadow hay from the Alpaca farm down the road at 6 quid for a farm bale and they love it. As long as they are chowing down on the cheaper hay that's all that matters. If they prefer it and its cheaper than what you're used to buying for them then that can only be a good thing as it saves on the pennies.

Hay is hay. Mine have meadow hay from the Alpaca farm down the road at 6 quid for a farm bale and they love it. As long as they are chowing down on the cheaper hay that's all that matters. If they prefer it and its cheaper than what you're used to buying for them then that can only be a good thing as it saves on the pennies.
I was worried cheaper meant lower quality and would perhaps be too high or low in something. That and I didn't want to be stingy with them. :xd:

I was worried cheaper meant lower quality and would perhaps be too high or low in something. That and I didn't want to be stingy with them. :xd:
My lot get a local farm bale too for £6 like @Betsy Some of the most expensive hay is not always better than the cheap stuff. I get Pillow Wad mainly for Hector who loves all the straw like pieces which we don’t get with the bale hay. I think Hector was brought up on straw to be honest, he is a rescue that was dumped. He likes the coarsest pieces of hay, those strands that look like shiny strands of plastic! everyone else avoids

My lot get a local farm bale too for £6 like @Betsy Some of the most expensive hay is not always better than the cheap stuff. I get Pillow Wad mainly for Hector who loves all the straw like pieces which we don’t get with the bale hay. I think Hector was brought up on straw to be honest, he is a rescue that was dumped. He likes the coarsest pieces of hay, those strands that look like shiny strands of plastic! everyone else avoids
That sounds quite sad in a way... grateful for anything. Will take the others leftovers. 😢

Piggies will by soon tell you if there’s an issue with hay, so if they are happy eating it then that’s good news. I usually keep a bag of pillow wad in stock just in case of a delay in hay delivery.
Guess I'll just get them loads of Pillow Wad then.

Their way of telling me they have an issue with the hay is they simply don't eat it. For everything else, Gaia chatters her teeth or starts savaging the cage. :roll:

Guess I'll just get them loads of Pillow Wad then.

Their way of telling me they have an issue with the hay is they simply don't eat it. For everything else, Gaia chatters her teeth or starts savaging the cage. :roll:

I'd be careful. It's a rite of passage for all of us - they love a hay, we buy more of it, they won't ever eat it again.

He says, as he thinks on the 24kg of hay in the living room :bal:

I'd be careful. It's a rite of passage for all of us - they love a hay, we buy more of it, they won't ever eat it again.

He says, as he thinks on the 24kg of hay in the living room :bal:
I will limit myself to 2-3 large bags of hay.

I just put 10kg in the compost, again! I've given up buying Timothy, sticking to cheap meadow.
At least my next door neighbour has a guinea pig and a rabbit so if mine go off something, it may not go to waste.

Oh no he actually seeks out the coarse strands over the nice stuff 😊 He’s absolutely spoilt rotten but I think his previous life was probably quite sad 😔
Noooo stop making me sad.... 😢

Back